Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steampunk Europe A.D. 1900

That's really cool. What exactly happened differently in history that resulted in the Byzantine Empire still being around?

Is it sort of in a similar political/economic/social state as the Ottoman Empire at around the same time period (i.e. the 'sick man of Europe') or has it gone through somewhat of a renewal?

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Another fine piece of work, Sapiento. I'm really getting into this alternate history map creation having looked at your posts. The thing I love about them is that they tell such a great story, particularly if you play with the place names. People who live in those countries (as evidenced by your Post Apocalyptic Amerika map) enjoy seeing what you've done to the bit in which they live.

Alternate history Britain is definitely on my 'to do' list. This actually looks more fun than fantasy for me.
    Thanks.
    AH Britain is always worth a thougt.

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    Steampunk is so cool. Very nice map! I dig the colors.

Thanks

Capitol < in the legend.
    Nope it's Capital. A Capitol is where the legislature sits and is usually an adjective, e.g. Capitol Hill.
    Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    omfg You're right. *brain fail!*
    Makes a change it's usually my frain that bails.
    My only (very minor) crit about the map is the border. It looks too bright (although it is quite 'Arts and Crafts' which sort of fits in the period but is more 1800s) - for a 1900's feel I'd have been tempted to go for something more Art Deco like the one below (nicked off the web).
    Thanks.
    I played around with some different design, including like the one you posted, but I envisioned a 1900 Europe that uses more fancy styles - it's one of the advantages of Ah: you don't have to stay with OTL designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Lovely map Sapiento!
    My only nitpick is with the frame as well. You have fold lines, giving the impression the map is printed on paper. Yet the outer part of the frame looks more solid and doesn't really fit in with the paper impression. That's just my opinion of course.
    Haven't seen this. Although, texture was placed upon the finished map, so obviously the texture I used is weaker at the borders.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Wonderful Job!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanestGuest View Post
    That's really cool. What exactly happened differently in history that resulted in the Byzantine Empire still being around?

Is it sort of in a similar political/economic/social state as the Ottoman Empire at around the same time period (i.e. the 'sick man of Europe') or has it gone through somewhat of a renewal?
    I really hadn't wasted much time on the POD, but I placed it near Charles the Bold surviving and dying 20 years later. America was discovered by Gustav Elber, a Burgundian explorer.
    New Russia is the result from a Russian civil war, having the weaker fraction retreating to 'New Russia' with German help - this is also the reason for the Baltic states as German territory = payment.
    For Byzantium - its a restored Empire, carved out from the former Ottoman Empire during a crusade in the 18th century. The basileus of the Byzantine Empire is actually from a Habsburg side branch.

Wunderbar, great!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedy View Post
    Wunderbar, great!
    Besten Dank!

Killer! Good fun!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12