Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fogdown - Redux

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    that is looking really sweeeeet
    He Lives!!!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    He Lives!!!
    Nice!

@ravells - Thanks for the tip! I'll mess around with the posterization and see if I can't get some different colors in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    He Lives!!!
    I find it more likely a spambot took over his account
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Next up --

- Still can't take myself away from texturizing, so I added water, mountains, building finishes.
    - Started to add special buildings. I tried experimenting with posterization, but it still needs more work. My idea is that each the largest building will be more unique, sort of like how the Empire State is different from the Woolworth building , which is different from the Chrysler building. These huge towers will hold the major houses and political centers.
    - Still need to experiment with the colors more, I want to capture a more lifeless, smokey, stinking city, not a water color painting

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fogdown3.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	15269  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Color sets the mood so I would gray up that ocean to reinforce what you're trying to convey and the blues in the ocean kind of counter that. Murky colors = murky emotions. I think the yellows around the beaches are too bright as well. I try to think murky, dark and brooding thoughts when making something to look that way (which is like 90% of what I do ). I stay away from bright happy colors at all costs. Eh, anyway, my two cents.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I like the rough areas (with no housing) a lot. The water is murky enough, but not sure if I like it. The houses look really orderly and clean, so you definitely need to grunge it up a bit

Oh, and definitely what Ravells said!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I couldn't sleep last night, so I spent some time working on the textures and colors. The posterization worked great once I started to tweak how the it layered with other textures. Each "group" of like sized buildings where colored with a black and white cloud render, then a pattern overlay was applied to them with an overlay layer style, then the same group of buildings have a layer of posterized colored clouds on top as an overlay layer.

- Added docks. Need to make them more jagged/randomized
    - Added new water... i like its mood better
    - Tweaked mountains to give them a sharper look
    - Need to add more special buildings to break up mosaic pattern
    - Need to add details to special buildings
    - Need to add landmarks (prison, junk yard, cemetery, arcane engineering school)

Thoughts?

Name:	fogdown4.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	4.08 MB 
ID:	15289  

Bored at work... ah, the joys of a G5.

- Added more "special buildings" to cut down on the patterns.
    - Added the lighthouse
    - Added the "junk" bay
    - Tweaked water... considering adding fog

Name:	fogdown5.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	4.04 MB 
ID:	15299  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That water is juicy! Love that! I just used two, count 'em TWO, exclamation points...I never use exclamation points. Everything else looks good too so far. Once this gets wrapped up you can count on some rep from me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast