Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fogdown - Redux

I'm no expert here, but I think the water remains too strong a feature. I think it looks very nice, but that is also the problem, it sorta distracts from the city layout itself too much still, which is the best bit. It's a very nice map though!

@Ascension - Oh that makes me happy. I've always loved the waters you've done. They are always very vibrant, but full of ominous darkness -- the exact feeling i was hoping to capture with this map.

@Larb - I appreciate the feedback! Though I disagree about the water: see above

Well, I think we are nearing the end...
    - Tweaked mountains more to give them an even sharper look.
    - Everything is grudged up - areas with smaller buildings (i.e. the poor areas) are darker and dirty, while places with taller/larger buildings I tried to make slightly cleaner.
    - Added smoke to the industrial area
    - Added the flooded cemetery
    - Added even more special buidlings: do folks think I've added enough? Any area specifically that need to be broken up more?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fogdown6.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	15336  

Well, you have certainly grunged up stuff. Nice!

The biggest problem for me is the mosaic look of the houses. Part of the problem is that most of the houses don't share walls. At the moment to me the mosaic look kinda ruins the image of a living, breathing city... my best advice: try pushing houses closes together, so they share walls.

Love what you did to the mountains.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Personally, I love the separated houses. If I knew for sure that back in the year 1100 that people built houses connected then I'd do mine that way but I just can't force myself to believe that people believed in such things way back then...especially in such a stratified society where everyone had their place and the nobility had the possessions. We see all of these old cities like Rome and Milan and we see the Google shots of the buildings but, for me, they look Renaissance and not medieval. It's a philosophical difference and I know that I'm in the minority...I just accept that. Know that I'm on your side and will carry the banner of separated houses along with you
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Let the houses stand free then
    We are creating fantasy maps anyway, so we can take liberties.

Still, I l think lots of houses sharing walls makes a more organic, realistic looking city.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Stop the oppression of FREE STANDING HOUSES!

(I know I'm silly, but sometimes I just can't help it)
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I also like (more or less) free standing houses. In the poorer, dirty areas like on the top tip and bottom tip, I placed two sets of "separated" houses on top of one another to create the feel that the area is very crowded. Does that satisfy those who are opposed to free houses... *cough* Gandwarf *cough*?

Quote Originally Posted by Redstar View Post
    I also like (more or less) free standing houses. In the poorer, dirty areas like on the top tip and bottom tip, I placed two sets of "separated" houses on top of one another to create the feel that the area is very crowded. Does that satisfy those who are opposed to free houses... *cough* Gandwarf *cough*?
    It's your map, I guess it will have to do
    Although the houses look a bit like a mosaic I still very much like the map.

Praise Everything but the Roofs!

I like the colors of the buildings, large and small but I do not like the shaded look to the buildings at all. Looks like polished pebbles embedded in rock. Don't get me wrong, I really like the tone and color of the map, its great, but the buildings, in my opinion, detract from it, their layout is good, good pattern and believable... its just those roofs that bother me.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I see what you're getting at and it because of the bevel effect...everything points to the middle creating a hipped roof (has a center point and all sides slope down) instead of a gabled roof (has a center line running the length of the house and two sides slope down). We have yet to find an effective way of creating gabled roofs quickly...they take a load of time to create and rotate one by one. I found this link to maybe clarify:

http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library...ics-A1936.html
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast