Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fogdown - Redux

Bob Villa meets fantasy cartography

Maybe if I turn down the bevel, it might help to make them less "polished rock" look.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I do two things to try to ameliorate that look:
    1. change the white highlight mode to soft light and lower the opacity if need be or
    2. lower the depth of the bevel, thus reducing the effect of both highlight and shadow.
    3. you could also just change the colors of the highlight and shadow to something else but i only do that for forests
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

It never occured to me to change the blend layer of the white highlight, I always change the colour of it to a slightly lighter shade of the base colour, always, no matter what I'm bevelling it looks ten times better than the white version.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redstar View Post
    Bob Villa meets fantasy cartography

Great, all we need now are him hosting episodes of "This Old Map" on PBS.

Which will then sprout episodes of "The New Yankee Cartographer Shop" with Norm Abrams
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

@Steel General - Ha! This old map would rock

@Ascension - Thanks for the tip. I altered the highligh mode, and I think it brings it down a notch. I'm hesitant to make it too light, as I do want the buildings to "pop". What do you think?

Changes:
    - Most of them are subtle - added fog, added name plate (might tweak this some), tweaked building highlights, tweaked mountains (again), added some special landmarks, tried to add more "grunge" to city centers.

Almost there... must... stop... tweaking...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fogdown7.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	15453  

Great update, looking much better
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Looking great Redstar! My new copy of photoshop hasn't arrived yet, I'm going to make a start on mine from scratch with Serif photoplus and I'll see how I go.

Thanks for showing the way!

Cheers

Ravs

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd say put a really nice frame on it and hang it in a gallery.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234