Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fogdown - Redux

Post Fogdown - Redux

Woah, long time no post...

So, I was brainstorming some ideas for converting my Fogdown D&D 3.5e game to the new Eberron 4e rules and to help facilitate that, I thought I would give the ol' Fogdown map a go again. I was never really happy with some of the things in the last map, so here is my chance to fix it up, and to hear everyone's great suggestions!

I started to lay the bases for the buildings and the land mass, using a tweaked version of Ascension's continent building tutorial, as well as some experiments along the lines of the Lazy Man's City builder tutorial.

Currently, I'm going around the edges and "breaking up" some of the building clusters (like the top part). The idea is that the outskirts are maze-like shanty towns and tenements. Closer to the center, the building have a little more order and represent more of the commercial and industrial centers. Finally, on the largest buildings are immense towers that loom over the city.

Let me know what you think!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fogdown.png 
Views:	190 
Size:	429.4 KB 
ID:	15201  

Looks like a real and large city to me

I'm excited you are going to another version. You are breaking the city up in multiple islands I think?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Yeah, the last map didn't have enough bridges for cool fight scenes, so thought I'd breakup the island a little.

Also, since Eberron is a little steam-punky, i like the idea of races to opening draw bridges, leaps to barges passing underneath and fights on ferryboats.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Sounds like a neat idea, looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wow, I put Fogdown in my 'Creation and depiction' tutorial as an example of great city building....so wonderful if you're going to improve it even further.

Your base is the kind of base that I use for the lazyman's city, but check this thread out.

Alfar has kindly made a 'context free' program which will make some interesting shaped buildings to break up the monotony of the voronoi / mosaic shapes, which I think will work excellently at this scale.

Please post lots of WIPs Redstar. My mapmaking is on hiatus while I'm waiting for a new computer to arrive (Thursday...hurrah!) and I'll be making a city quite closely aligned to the same principles you're using for Fogdown redux. I made a start here until my computer packed in...so I'd love to compare notes as I/we progress in our work.

All the best

Ravs

@ravells

That's funny, it was your commissioned piece that got me thinking of ways to redo the Fogdown map! I love this site... I saw the deception pdf just the other day, I'm glad Fogdown could be used to help other folks out! I'm also glad you give fair warning for the "close up maps", noting that it can take days. I hoping the Lazy Man technique can let me focus more on details and not on layouts. There is a strange zen to drawing squares though...

That context free render script looks like it can come in handy. I'll be sure to post plenty o' WIPs as I go along -- partly to sedate your mapping fix, partly to hear what folks think

Stop talking and start posting WIPs!
    Haha, just kidding of course. But I am kinda excited. Loved the first map and I am a sucker for town maps.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Worked on the map a little today...
    - I got impatient and started experimenting with the textures. I'm not sure if the water is exactly what I'm going for. The ground I also have mixed feelings about. The buildings I like and may add a few more different textures to add some variation.
    - I also need to add the "unique" buildings
    - Need to mess around with the road texture a little more to get more sand in there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fogdown2.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	15245  

I found a way to make variated colours on the buildings using (I think) clouds with strong colours and then the posterize filters...you end up with each bulding having about four colours or so on it and then you wand/fill them to colours of your choice....I'd have to play around a bit to remember it properly tho'

It's looking really good!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

That is looking really SWEEEEET

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast