Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ghoraja Juun - Istria (finally)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the textures that you've got going for the grass and the tundra so far. I think the lakes should maybe be a different color from the deep ocean, but as to what I can only guess (since I'm not real sure) that maybe something lighter because the lakes are shallower or maybe something a lil bit green (just a tad). I dunno, my brain has been fried for the past week or so because of the things I'm working on.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

cool,

I'll take a look

I like it, but I think your continental shelf is too regular. And the south-westernmost lake looks different than the rest.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albrechtw4 View Post
    I like it, but I think your continental shelf is too regular. And the south-westernmost lake looks different than the rest.
    Yeah I'm not to happy with the shelf, need to find a better way or better texture.

You're right about the lake - missed that one when I was recoloring.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip Latest update

OK, finally had a bit more time today to work on this. Nearly everything added today is in the northwest portion of the map. My original continental maps were split into 9 parts, so I'm doing the same thing with this (using guides in PS) to help me at least keep a semblance of the original.

Much of today was spent experimenting with different ways to show the mountains. Didn't want to rely solely on the stacked textured layers that I normally use. Pretty happy with the way they came out though they might need just a bit more tweaking.

I also added some forests and reworked the continental shelf a bit.

What I need to do is figure out a good way of showing several, somewhat small maelstroms located just of the extreme northwest coast. So if anybody has any ideas on a nice way to represent those please let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Istria-WIP.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	15425  
    Last edited by Steel General; 08-02-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The mountains do look good Steel! I would keep them.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thanks the only thing I was considering was something to define the peaks/ridges a bit more. I'll play with it and if I don't like it, I'll leave them as is.

Wip ...And Now For Today's Update.

OK, so I tried to do something with the peaks on the mountains, but they looked terrible so I scrapped that idea.

I now have the terrain for the western third of the continent pretty much done, I may add some additional hills and scattered forests. I have to say I'm pretty darn happy with it so far.

The wasteland in the 'west central area' came out much better than expected. The swamps in the south, are a bit experimental, but I like the way they turned out.

So take a peek and keep the C&C coming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Istria-WIP4.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	4.00 MB 
ID:	15468  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks fine to me except one thing...the highlight mode on the bevel on the mtns surrounding the desert thingy is throwin me off. Looks sort like glass in spots. The only thing I can think of to maybe fix that and not ruin the rest of the mtns on the map (if they're all on the same layer) is to lightly erase around the edges a bit where the effect is more prominent. Nitpicky, yes. If you're cool with it then no big. Later dude.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Actually after another look, those hills around the wasteland are a little overstated. I'll probably go back and do some 'excavation' on them tonite so they are little more subtle.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast