Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ghoraja Juun - Istria (finally)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wip Ghoraja Juun - Istria (finally)

I've had a homebrew fantasy world for years now that has pretty much been stagnant - my own fault entirely .

So I finally decided to sit down and map the beastie out. The world (Ghoraja Juun) has 6 continents. Two of them (Khyvaar & Animaar) largely unknown/unexplored. The other 4 (Calathas, Istria, Ashtalarya & Maldraug), are the subject of what info I have actually posted in the WIKI for the world.

This is the continent of Istria (it would be located in approximately the same general location as South America.

This is a very early WIP using a combination of Ascensions techniques and my preference for stacking textured layers, etc.

I had to 'dumb it down' a bit as the original is to many megapixels to post.

Feel free to leave C&C, though how things are now may change dramatically as it develops.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Istria-WIP.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	15209  
    Last edited by Steel General; 07-27-2009 at 09:40 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You've got some lakes popping out in to the ocean down south and in the middle and then again on the right side kinda middle-ish. Otherwise, I think the lakes look kinda weird, maybe cuz they don't have a coastal shelf...maybe a slight glow there? I dunno. Hope it works out and you know I'll be watching...I watch everything I think.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Steel General,

I like the look of the texturing, but i'm not sure about the continent itself. It looks sort of like one of those random generated maps from old D&D that they put into one of the map collections. Also, depending on the scale, i thought it looked more like a Pangea than a single continent.

I am by no means an expert, so I wouldn't take anything I say as an enlightened view.

Marc

Thanks for the comments.

@Ascension - Yeah I didn't notice the lake problems until after I posted it. I'll fix them eventually. I recolored the lakes on a separate level and wasn't careful enough with the 'brush' so they bled over past the land in spots.

@Davros01 - It was at one time a single continent, but there was a cataclysm in the past that "shattered" the 4 known continents into the disjointed mess they are currently.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yay for Ghoraja Juun! Good to see you "back in the game"

ah, cool,

I always enjoy some of the history of the maps. it definitely brings the character out of maps i find. Everyone is saying you are back in the game. Do you have other parts of the world created?? I'd like to see those also if you've got em.

Marc

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Good luck... I totally understand the daunting challenge of taking on a whole world like this!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

@Davros01 - There is a link to the WIKI in my sig. There is far from an overwhelming amount of detail regarding the world itself (most of it still being in my head) there and a few maps - mostly cities (and are posted here in the Finished Maps forum).

@Karro - Yeah, I had really crappy maps done in CC2 (from years ago), but I hate them so I thought I'd start from scratch. This is going to be a long project.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    @Karro - Yeah, I had really crappy maps done in CC2 (from years ago), but I hate them so I thought I'd start from scratch. This is going to be a long project.
    I know what you mean. I had some crappy ones from MSPaint (I should post some of them sometime)... and at some point you start longing for something... better.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Map Just a wee bit of an update

OK, here's today's update...nothing humongous but satisfying nonetheless.

• Fixed the lake 'goofs' (still not quite settled on the water color)
    • Added some dry/arid land at the northern edge of the land masses
    • Added some variation to the "grass" to delineate steppes/plains, normal grassland and more verdant/lush areas.
    • Played around with the continental shelf some, still not quite what I has hoping to achieve.
    • Added a low opacity stroke to the land to help separate it from the oceans.

The .JPG had to be 'dumbed down' to 9 on the quality scale in PS so some of the 'pop' is lost.

That's about it. As always C&C welcomed, encouraged and appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Istria-WIP.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	3.83 MB 
ID:	15270  

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast