Thread: Seeking Inspiration

Help Seeking Inspiration

I'm working on a map -- actually, I am just thinking of working on one -- and I don't know where to start. My problem is the scale. The map will be 30x30 squares with each square measuring 500 feet; the whole thing will be approximately 3x3 miles. I've done a couple (literally two) overland maps. One is 300x250 miles and the other is a tenth of that -- 30x25 miles. I've also done a few battle maps with the standard five foot square. My difficulty is imagining it. I feel it should have a different look from the overlands I've done and certainly different from the battle maps. I've been searching the site some something along the same scale, but most of the stuff I've come across is either way larger (like my overland maps) or way smaller (like my battle maps). The site is huge so I'm sure there is stuff here, but I keep missing it. Could anyone point me in the direction of some possible styles for that scale?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You might look at the Dundjinni forums, most of the stuff posted there should be at the scale you're looking for.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

When in doubt: google. I like to use image search for styles of maps, e.g. if trying to approximate an antique style or simply to see what's out there on a certain topic (e.g. map town panorama).

Excellent advice, guys. I'm now running in a direction and begun physical work on the map. I'll post it when I'm done. Thanks.

Post some WIP before you're done BZK, If you're running in the wrong direction for any reason, the earlier someone can draw your attention to it, the better.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Speaking from experience, even if you make the map as non-destructive as possibles (never forget that layers and effects are your friends) it can be very annoying to realize something at the end where you need to go back and fix.. and even if that's easy enough, it can be tedious moving around the rest of the existing work to accomodate the change

Please do post as you go, you have me intrigued

Sounds like good advice, guys. You can track my efforts here.