Thread: Tirantia WIP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Post Tirantia WIP

As the title says, however I think I'm almost done. I was envisioning this as sort of a steampunk genre, it's too modern looking for full out fantasy, but not modern enough for today If I do that again, I'll likely find more appropriate art to toss in there.

Played around with Ascension's antique map tutorial (you're a total genius) but I wasn't nearly so faithful to the original style this time. It'll still be recognizeable, but after I went through word for word, I went back to change and tweak things once I understood how everything would work and the layers affect each other (mountains being the biggest difference - most of the mercator style maps i've been looking at have this style of mountain, so I went with it). I kept a few realworld antique maps at close hand to compare styles as I worked on them (I could come a lot closer to accuracy if I spent another week on this - but I have another project planned instead now that i've learned from this one)

I have to say, I have a whole new healthy respect for those of you who come up with hundreds of place names per map. That was probably the longest and most tedious aspect of this project, I was ready to give up and say "ok good enough" a few times

For the first time I have a serious complaint about PS7 - I can't get text to follow a path, that would have really helped with the rivers. Still, I've been able to replicate everything else I've come across just fine, so it's hard to justify the cost of upgrading for that one single feature

Any obvious glaring errors to be seen before i call it done?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antique.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	15217