Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gimp Script: Fractalize Path

Guild Applicant

Question: which GIMP versions is the script compatible with? and where does the file go? (GIMP help isn't being especially helpful there) Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaumains View Post
    Question: which GIMP versions is the script compatible with? and where does the file go? (GIMP help isn't being especially helpful there) Thanks.
    It should work with 2.6 and later. What is your OS? That will determine the location.....

But generally: http://docs.gimp.org/en/install-script-fu.html

-Rob A>

Guild Applicant

Thanks Roba, looks like it's working now; I was just wary of putting the file in the wrong place; GIMP doesn't seem to have an integrated method of redirecting or reappropriating files. I'm using Win 7, GIMP 2.6.11. I moved it to C:\Users\[Username]\.gimp-2.6\scripts, and it seems to be working right. Thanks for writing this up! Rep'd.

This works perfectly! I used the maximum number of subdivisions and smoothness of 5. I also used your GIMP guide to creating an artistic regional map to create fractalized shores. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RanDomino View Post
    This works perfectly! I used the maximum number of subdivisions and smoothness of 5. I also used your GIMP guide to creating an artistic regional map to create fractalized shores. Thanks!
    Glad you found it useful!

-Rob A>

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

This is lovely! If you start with a big continent- or world-level map, you can then take a subsection of the base layers and fractalize them, producing progressive detail without having to re-draw the basics.

Guild Artisan

This is a great idea - if I had found this thread earlier, I would spare hours of creating fractals elsewhere and importing them in GIMP.
    However I can't make the script work - I copied the script in the right directory, refreshed fu scripts but when I right click on a path, I get the usual huge menu with submenus but there is nowhere "fractalize path".
    How to make it work ?

EDIT : I just checked with the procedure browser in GIMP and the procedure fractalize path appears as temporary procedure. So it's there. But I am still unable to find in what menu it is hiding.
    Last edited by Deadshade; 12-11-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Blog Entries

in the current Gimp 2.8.14
    the menus are a bit different than in 2.4 and 2.6

a lot has changed in the last 5 years

but it is there and works

select the path tool
    make a test roundish path ( 6 or 7 clicks will do )
    then on the top menu click "window" and select " docable dialogs" and select "path"

on the bottom of that window is the script

it dose work in my Gimp install on OpenSUSE linux
    ( a source build from the current stable branch)

mind you i did NOT expect this to work after 5 years , but it dose
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Guild Artisan

OK thanks, found it. Actually when the path window is selected, one has to reclick on the window button (top right), select path menu and there at the end is the command fractalize path.
    What is unpleasant is that the fractalize path window opens underneath the GIMP Window so that it can't be seen.

Blog Entries

it will
    the script is using 5 year old depracated gtk2 commands

the 2,8 branch of gimp made MANY and some VERY DRASTIC a changes in preparation for The Gimp 3.0
    the fact that is still works is just random chance

the tool window will open under the rest of the windows until the script is updated
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast