Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tarantia

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

That is too funny Cmax... I would love to know how it wound up there

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    This is quite nice C-Max, but for me the mountains seem out of place - I think the lines are to 'soft' compared to the rest of the piece.

*shrugs* just my opinion...
    I totally agree, and if I were to do it again, I would absolutely do them different.

Hrm.. *ponders New York in this style..*

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

When I saw this map, I immediatley thought of the Ascension tutorial. I'd done one myself called Paragonia, but this one gives me some ideas. It's a great style but requires you to come up with a whole lot of names to keep the faith. I like the sublety of this one. For one thing, I think the lack of wave lines is an improvement. I'm also wondering if you decision to not follow the curves of the rivers with the labels is a plus or a minus. Now I'm tempted to do another though. Great job.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Honestly, at the time i did that I was using PS7 which did not have a way to fit the text to the curves.
    But yeah, very definitely an ascension tutorial. i did the mountains different because I couldn't do the little caterpillary mountain ranges without it looking dorky. I think that could be something I move past now that I have some new techniques up my sleeve

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    I just got informed that this map has been discovered hanging in the lobby of a higher-end resort in Jamaica. (what the heck? seriously??)

More details as I uncover them!
    Now that is the best form of flattery! I went to a talk a few years ago by some famous illustrators, Jim Burns, the SF illustrator was one of them. He found copies of his work painted on the walls of Saddam Hussain's palace in photographs taken after Desert Storm.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Now that is the best form of flattery! I went to a talk a few years ago by some famous illustrators, Jim Burns, the SF illustrator was one of them. He found copies of his work painted on the walls of Saddam Hussain's palace in photographs taken after Desert Storm.
    That's awesome and scary at the same time.

One night there's a knock at Coyotemax's door; he answers it and finds two sketchy-looking middle-eastern men in ill-fitting suits standing outside. One of them says, "Our employer wishes to discuss a commission with you... in person..."

An A+ for authentic looks Coyote! Really like this style, cheers!

Guild Journeyer

only just discovered this thread. really like that, nicely done. well done

I would make one comment though - the background is aged and distressed, yet the fonts on it are brand new looking, just doesnt quite sit as well as they could do together for me. but thats nit-picking really. thanks for showing.

Jezelf: i understand what you're saying. I was kind of going for a weathered printing press style map, but the distressing to the text wasn't working too well in keeping it readable so I compromised.

Wait till you see the next one I'm doing in this sort of style

My finished maps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast