Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tarantia

Awesome map. First time I have seen it here so I might have missed it before. I love the old fashioned look it has and the images in the corners. Very very nice. Really hanging at a resort? Wow, that is cool.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Jezelf: i understand what you're saying. I was kind of going for a weathered printing press style map, but the distressing to the text wasn't working too well in keeping it readable so I compromised.

Wait till you see the next one I'm doing in this sort of style
    yeah making it readable is best. other options are having a older font that is more of the era, like on this from 1766 - the text is intact and readable but of it's time...also rather than distressing the text you can fade it a touch using the Fill % on the layer or Opacity% (in PS), or even make the text off-black and then do a slight inner-glow of black as if the ink as faded a bit - but all just suggestions, I've found that sometimes I can spend hours being arty and it just doesnt work better than keeping it simple - dont get me wrong - it all looks wonderful! looking forward to you next.

some other older maps of that era - http://www.old-maps.com that might be of useful reference.

cheers
    Last edited by jezelf; 09-17-2010 at 06:31 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123