Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dark Sun - Village of Arla

Here's a few suggestions to kick the map up a bit.

• Reduce the transparency on the white circles behind the numbers so that they are not entirely blocking the detail of the map, but still offer some contrast for the numbers.

I'm guessing the ruins of the buildings were not built from cement. You may want to "break up" the foundations some more to give it a more natural appearance.

Add some shadow to the house on the hill as well as the tents, ship, docks, and even the Kanks, to give some indication of height.

Shadow could also be added to the hills to give them an appearance of height and also their height in relation to the village.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Awesome!

Good tip on breaking up the ruins even more.

Many of the things you suggested I'd done but obviously, I need to increase the effect. Grateful for the input though.

The shadows on the mountains I have had a hard time with. I think it's conducive to my chosen color scheme. Would it be advisable to lighten up some of the high points to show more relief instead of adding shadows? That lowest elevation color is pretty dark and the shadows I've added aren't really coming through.

That would be a good idea to try. Also, I'm not seeing a shadow effect across the village. Is the hill so low that it doesn't cast a shadow? That could be easily understood given the angle of possible sunlight and all that so that is just nitpicky on my part.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Ohhhh... I though you meant the shadows on the ruined structures themselves. You mean the shadow of the mountain, right? Cast over the village in it's entirety. No, I didn't think of doing that. I'll give it a go.

thanks!

Guild Novice

Post Feedback

Nice map.

Seems to correspond quite well to its description in Village of the Wastes.
    Your map gives a new dimension to this place.

Good work !

Okay, is there another, final version of this map? Such is implied at http://community.wizards.com/go/thre...he_Wastes?pg=4 but the link is broken.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Try looking in the finished maps forum, the original thread is nearly 4 years old so keep your fingers crossed.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12