Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [taken]-[unpaid]Map Redesign Request

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Link [taken]-[unpaid]Map Redesign Request

Commission: Unpaid. But I will say super doper pretty please and offer virtual cake.

Time Constraints: At your leisure, hopefully within 90 to 120 days or so. More if needed.

Style: I would like for it to appear like something made for a lord or a king of the time. A map that would hang in his warroom or his library. I am posting several links to maps that have that look to me. Apologies if I do not have the names, as I have been scouring maps to find examples. No disrespect to the original artists is intended.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

The last one has something I love but cannot find other examples of. The washed out muted colours used to define the coast. I can see this for forestest maybe, or lakes, etc.

Description of Map

This is based on the hexmap I have made for my game.

With markers instead of names.

The very crowded map with names.

Quality & Size

• Required for print / web

As you can see it is very large, and I would hope to get a poster print of it for the gaming room wall.

Copyright -

• I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

I don't intend to make any money off of it and I am certainly someone who appreciates when artists want to display their work.

Notes -

Now here's the thing.

As you may or may not have notices, my map is very reminiscent of the old world map from Warhammer.

As seen here

Well that has bothered me a lot as I move along. Try as I might I just can't get the coastline to not echo it.

What I am looking for is this; Someone to in doing the map, redesign the coast lines. Everything is how it should be and where I want it, but the coastlines could look less like the Warhammer world. Perhaps an artist with a fresh eye could have inspiration or insight I am missing as I am too close to the map I have designed.

The shape of Blackfish bay for example, or the Shattered Shore, etc...

The markers show where things should be, if there is a conflict between the marker and name maps as a source, the marker map always wins in all case. Names, locations, terrain, etc...

I will attach the marker map key as well.

Summary -

I thank you for taking the time and considering my request and hope that someone will be interested in this project.

Cheers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Ok, here's my stab at it so far, if I'm way off base, let me know

Going to redo a few things to brighten it up, maybe change a few coastlines some more than they are to make it a bit more unique, otherwise it's about ready to start adding places, if you approve

(that's my own celtic artwork in there too, I finally have a use for all the high quality scans I made back when i was actively drawing, yay!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	15263  

WOWZA!!!!!!!!

That is amazing man!

Do you want to make this a discussion in a WIP thread or shall I over guides here?

I am simply blown away man... thank you so much thus far

WIP is good! I'll make one up right now.

Link to the WIP (work in progress) thread:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=6476
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I just wanted to say I think AC's original map was really nice before the rework. I'm not always a huge fan of tiled maps on a grid, but at this scale it looks very nice. Seems like a great way to make an information-dense map.

I loved it, myself. It brought back memories of when I was in high school (gods i feel old now) and I actually drew out sheets of hex paper by hand because I had no idea how to get any, and the school wouldn't let me use the photocopier...
    the map I was working on ended up being 4 sheets tall by 6 sheets wide, and almost every hex filled in with terrain of some sort (which is why this one reminds me so much, heh)

Thanks for the kind words on the original lads. It took years to get it right, for that style.

Now it changes, but that's for the better I do believe

And Coyotemax's WIP is looking sweetxor!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Impressive knotwork man. I never had the patience for that stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

When I saw the level of detail on your map, I quailed at the thought of even approaching it. I'm so glad that Coyote has taken it on and done such a brilliant job. Absolutely stunning work by him. You must be very grateful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast