Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The World of Bloodmyr - Remade

Post The World of Bloodmyr - Remade

Hi, I've remade my map that was originally posted (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=6420) with the tutorial found here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4084

I decided that my old one wasn't pretty enough, so I am in the process of remaking it.

Anyhow, I will upload both the old one and the new one in this thread to show the comparison. That was a great tutorial, really enjoyed it, and I think I've gotten some decent results.

Off to bed for now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bloodmyr.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	15258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bloodmyre.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	15259  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Nice! Very easy on the eyes. While you can fit an incredible amount of detail in these maps, I like the simplicity in this one. The comparison in the before and after is nifty too... I love seeing how things evolve.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quite nice! All of Ascension's tutorials are great.

I don't use them myself, but I do use some of the techniques within them in my own maps.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Nice! Very easy on the eyes. While you can fit an incredible amount of detail in these maps, I like the simplicity in this one. The comparison in the before and after is nifty too... I love seeing how things evolve.
    I agree... really nice map that is easy to read. A great resource for a campaign world.

Yeah, nice to see this map converted! Have some rep for a job well done.

Ascension does get too many converts though
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Muahahahah Looks good to me, obviously. What's that font? I can't put my finger on it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for the positive feedback. As a note, there will be more cities and locales added, I just wanted to get the capitals and countries on there for the first draft.

The title font ("Bloodmyr") is called Caeldera, if memory serves (I don't have my full list of fonts here, at work at the moment). It's a popular fantasy font, I'm sure others easily recognize it. (http://www.getfreefonts.info/free_font.caeldera.html)

The cities' names are done in a standard Windows font Trajan Pro. Actually, I went ahead and googled it, and it appears to be an Adobe font. (http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/stor...kage&code=1724)

The country names were done with Fiolex Mephisto (http://www.dafont.com/fiolex-mephisto.font).

The symbols came from the AutoRealm font, as referenced here in the forums. (Thanks to whoever made that one and to whoever found it)

My plans for the map now are to add the cities and towns to the map. I would like suggestions for the road network. I still haven't decided if I will do the road network, unsure if it will be useful or necessary, and may clutter up the map too much. I definitely don't want to lose any of the visual quality from the map, being that the terrain is so nice. Maybe just the major highways?

Edit: I also wanted to note a couple of changed I made from Ascension's tutorial, just as a matter of preference and to explain my methods to anyone who noticed the difference or wanted to make something the same way I did.

1. The "borders" layer is basically a 1-pixel wide line that divides up the countries that allows you to find them, make selections, and make your inner glow for your country borders. When you Ctrl+Click the borders layer with one of your country layers selected, it makes the 1 pixel selection where borders are. I decided I wanted more defined borders, so I expanded that selection by two pixels. As you can see from the image, the borders are slightly wider and more prominent, and you can see the rivers that form borders a little better than if the glows were on top of them.

2. Again, with the borders, I didn't delete my 1-pixel black lines. I changed the opacity down (I believe to 25%), giving it a kind of black line in the middle of the borders, making them a little more prominent on the map. You can see the black line of the border between Sorbia and Gotland in the middle-north of the map (and other places where there is not a river or mountain range).
    Last edited by kittrellbj; 07-29-2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: PS

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Very nicely done sir! I applaud your work (and bump your reputation )!

Quote Originally Posted by AslanC View Post
    Very nicely done sir! I applaud your work (and bump your reputation )!
    Why, thank you sir.

The (probably) final rendition. I am pleased with the results.

Had to go tiny with some of the fonts. To preserve the terrain, I tried to label as much as I could on oceans or water. Didn't want to clutter up the terrain with labeling where I didn't have to. The detail is much more important on the land than the water, in my opinion. It got a little tight in some spots, but everything appears to be positioned nicely.

The world has kinda been twisted on its side and slapped around, but I think the new version is much more visually pleasing.

Again, the rough drawing and the final version. Also, I'd recommend these steps to anyone (making a rough map first, then making a pretty map). It really helped ALOT on naming places when I wasn't worried about prettiness, so it transferred very nicely when I was ready for the stylistic map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bloodmyre.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	15285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bloodmyr.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	15286  
    Last edited by kittrellbj; 07-30-2009 at 08:03 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast