Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Dawn of the West (redesign)

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Swoon!

Wow she looks great!

3000x3000? Yikes that is huge

I see where there are some disconnected rivers, that was my bad on the file I sent you. They need to be connected

I can't wait to see your take on the mountains and forests.

Oh and ones thing before you do it again, no cactus or cow skulls in Solani. Nothing lives there as it was all scored clear. Though when you make the lake of fire, can you put a small island in the middle? It is the location of the City of Brass.

So loving this map thus far

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

To Do:

• dedication/cartouche reworded
    • resize dog head embellishments on the scale (smaller)
    • redo terrain and plant life
    • add text layers (cities, regions, features)
    • re-work the overlay effect layers to work better with the ocean gradient
    • get the art looking more consistent

Might be a bit early for this yest, but how clean are we keeping the map, or do we wear it down a bit more (ie does the king let it hang on the wall and admire it, or does it get taken along on military campaigns etc?)

One other question, we have a rather large list of nations (36, holycarp!), are we wanting to define each of the borders and edge them with colours, or leave it a bit nebulous? (border disputes, the map changes every week, why bother, heh)

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Might be a bit early for this yest, but how clean are we keeping the map, or do we wear it down a bit more (ie does the king let it hang on the wall and admire it, or does it get taken along on military campaigns etc?)
    So long as it is readable and looks good hanging on my gaming room wall at 36x36 inches

In other words I trust you on this.

One other question, we have a rather large list of nations (36, holycarp!), are we wanting to define each of the borders and edge them with colours, or leave it a bit nebulous? (border disputes, the map changes every week, why bother, heh)
    The latter. No clearly defined borders. In the West borders are defined by natural landmarks (rivers, mountains, hills, forests, etc...)

And with war coming a mere 15 years after this map was comissioned, things will change.

My campaign is a snapshot of 499cr (1509ir) and as such this map is already 13 years out of date, though fortunately nothing much has changed in that time.

As I said I am really loving it and looking forward to how it advances as we go.

Don't put names until I get you an updated list with the minor renames I made.

And again, thanks so much

Excellent. I was dreading having to section it off into that many pieces, and concerned about how it would work in with the other detail. (i was going to make you section it off if you did, hah!)

No worries about the namies yet, I'm planning on leaving that to last.

(salsa almost done, yay!)

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    i was going to make you section it off if you did, hah!
    I would have done so with a smile sir

But the most important question is this...

How was the salsa?

It is happy.

Salsa Verde, just keep in mind that if you only have a blender, and not a food processor, you must start with the tomatillos, not the dry leafy stuff

(and our dogs are wierd, they like eating the hot pepper cores!)

Ok, back to the map.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

THis will be an interesting map to watch develop...looking forward to seeing it finished.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip

Ok, Here's the reworked terrain and plant life.
    I haven't done the recolour layer to make the areas pop out yet (forest, desert etc) but I think it's coming along.

I think it's about as detailed as I'm comfortable with considering we have the text to add yet. Plus with the colour tinging that'll make thing stand out more so it should be good.

Yes I know the lava lake in the corner needs work, I just left it like that as a reminder, I just started on it

Dunno if I already said it, if so I'll say it again, the work you did on the coastline was awesome. I really like the addition of the coast in the top right, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	working.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	15312  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Adjustments to the To Do list
    • dedication/cartouche reworded
    • resize dog head embellishments on the scale (smaller)
    • redo terrain and plant life
    • get the art looking more consistent
    • reworked coastline shading effects
    • rework the lake of fire layer
    • add text layers (cities, regions, features)
    • colour tint layer for terrain features and plant life
    • re-work the overlay effect layers to work better with the ocean gradient (in progress)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Well thank you sir

I had that upper righthand sea in a bunch of previous incarnations of the map and then lost it along the way some how. Silly moi

Now it back and serves a purpose

I am loving the minimalist feel compared to my over crowded hex map... this feels more like an artist's interpretation of the West.

Shall I start going over it and looking for things that need to be fixed or tweaked?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast