Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Dawn of the West (redesign)

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Oh and real fast, don't do the spherize thing, it doesn't work for me... if it isn't too much trouble to undo

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Ok, I can remove that easy, it's on a layer by itself.

And yes, by all means suggest fixes and tweaks. Let me upload the latest variant, I have the geopgraphy colour tinted now, still putting off the lake of fire

(too bad about the lat/long lines, the sheer amount of effort I went through for that.. my comp kept telling me it was out of memory when I even tried loading the filter.. of course I was working with a 9000x9000 file.. I had to shut down **everything** but windows critical tasks, and ran memturbo to scrub every bit of memory it could find before it wouldn't complain at me, heh - but i kept the finished file in case i ever need to do something like that agan )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	working.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	15317  
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 07-30-2009 at 10:15 PM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Okay now you are gonna make me feel guilty

But onwards and upwards.

Love the colour shading it is very tight.

I will make my dinner and then post my notes, there are only 10 or so

I look forward to it, I've stopped puttering and tweaking for now, I got the lava as close as I can get it without headbutting the keyboard in frustration every time I look at it.

I'll just edit the previous post to upload the new copy, that's the only change, not worth an entire extra upload.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Okay. All full of food... just lit a smoke and got my bottle of Crystal Lite... let's do it!

Notes Image 1

So the only note here is the lack of mountian feeding that short river into the lake.

Nice and easy to start, let's conitnue.

Notes Image 2

Green - I am not grooving on the cross pollination of junlge and swamp. Can you remove that extra tree or two?

Blue - Mountains should tapper towards the sea in Thess, as it is representative of Ancient Greece. Can you add a couple?

Gold - Bennaccio will be too large, can you populate that area with some trees?

Notes Image 3

Green - I am thinking islands should have nothing on them at all. This repeats later with Zealand. Can you remove those trees?

Blue - That mountain is sitting a touch too close to the coastline. Can it be moved back a touch?

Notes Image 4

Green - The hex map is approximately 1500 miles from east to west. If we convert to leagues this map is about 3600 miles. Can that scale be adjusted? A league equals about 3 miles if I am not wrong.

Notes Image 5

Green - Island thingy mentioned earlier.

Blue - Those mountains should be larger as there is one pass between Pendria and Colwyn, which is why Colywn is important, holds back Vikings coming through via Blackfish Bay.

Gold - The Duchy of Shale is like the Scottish highlands, some small mountains around that trapped loch would be awesome sauce!

Notes Image 6

Green - Now you got me thinking if I should through another nation up there. I was gonna say add mountains, but now I think not. Gonna have to cook up a good name... drat!

Notes Image 7

Green - This is Mithras Vale, there should be mountains coming down this side as well leading towards Two Moon Lake. Can you add?

Notes Image 8

Green - This is the Veldt, it is a mountain plateau plain. There need to be mountains on this side as well. Where the river flows out of the Veldt is a high waterfall and the forest below is the Mistwood.

Notes Image 9

Green - All these areas need more mountains. The Iron Coast is formidable, Nyrmedia is kept safe more or less from Solani and Ushak by the mountains along those borders. The ones to the south (The Red Mountains of Solani) should be large all to the coast.

Notes Image 10

Green - There should be some swamp there according to the hex map. Can it be added?

Okay so I hope I didn't come off too picky or jerky. I have a matter-of-fact way and it can seem a bit off putting.

Certainly if there are reasons for certain things let me know.

As to the lava in the latest version; it looks great!

The volcano though needs to be blurred I think as it stands out too strongly compared the other mountains.

Okay you may proceed with the throwing of rotten fruit at me

No problem, nitpicky is ok, and everything you tossed is completely doable.

I'll let you know when the list is done.

My finished maps

Most cool of you sir

Wip

Notes Image 1
    lack of mountain feeding that short river into the lake.

Notes Image 2
    jungle and swamp. remove extra tree or two
    Mountains should tapper towards the sea in Thess
    Bennaccio too large, populate that area with some trees

Notes Image 3
    islands should have nothing on them at all - (yeah, I was thinking that myself)
    mountain is sitting a touch too close to the coastline

Notes Image 4
    Can that scale be adjusted? - (i was waiting for you to say something about that, heh)

Notes Image 5
    Island thingy mentioned earlier.
    mountains should be larger as there is one pass
    some small mountains around that trapped loch
    - left a gap in there for you between 2 of the big ones

Notes Image 6
    no apparent action required at this time

Notes Image 7
    Mithras Vale, there should be mountains coming down this side

Notes Image 8
    mountain plateau plain. mountains on this side as well.

Notes Image 9
    All these areas need more mountains. The ones to the south should be large all to the coast.

Notes Image 10
    swamp there according to the hex map. Can it be added? - (i kept looking at that area thinking something was missing...)

The volcano though needs to be blurred

Certainly if there are reasons for certain things let me know.
    - (I was trying to keep areas from filling up too much with terrain in anticipation of adding text is all)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	working.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	15322  
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 07-31-2009 at 12:36 AM. Reason: re-upload

My finished maps

Looking super good my man!

Careful on the mountains bleeding over the coast lines and what not and you can thin the mounts abit around the loch, like else where on the map, the impression is all we need.

Wow... this just gets better and better.

Oh and did you darken it?

I turned off the parchment overlay while I was working and forgot to turn it back on for the upload

I'll tone down those areas no prob.

My finished maps

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast