0 0%
  • I'm indifferent

3 21.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donations for forum upgrade?

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post Donations for forum upgrade?

I've decided that the site is outgrowing phpbb...I'm just no longer happy with its limited capabilities, and I'd like to be able to do more, but the problem is...the one I WANT to put here costs money.

I'd like to upgrade the site to vbulletin, which costs 160 dollars...Rest assured this will happen with or without donations, but any donations of course would be welcomed. I don't like to ask for money, especially on the internet, but it would at least speed up the process of upgrading the site.

Let me know what you all think about me putting up a button for paypal donation on the site. Feel free to discuss.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I don't see anything wrong with a donate button. People shouldn't feel guilted into donating, but those that feel this is a great site and would like to see it grow and get better probably would like to donate, even if it is a couple dollars. The way I see it is if we had 160 active members and everyone donated $1, you would be set. Obviously the more people donate the faster it will go. I'm assuming that once you have the money you need the donate button would go away? Or heck, keep it there. Considering how much time and effort you put in on the site I think it is only fair.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I agree, please put up a donate button. I enjoy this site so much I would donate even if you were not actively trying to buy new software!

You have put together a truly inspiring site!

Thanks
    Dean

\"Nonsense, your only saying that because no-one ever has!\"

Blog Entries

I'll have a donate button up this evening then!

vBulletin is a more secure piece of software, and is a bit more resistant to spam attacks...thats the FIRST reason to upgrade.

Secondly, it has better group management and the ability to expand user capabilities a bit more.

Lastly, its paid for software, which means it includes support and warranties and whatnot (I haven't researched this).

A lot of the more "pro" level web communities I've been involved in are vBulletin forums, and I'm generally impressed with them. I wanted to make this site vBulletin to start with but didn't have the money to spend on something that might not have even worked out...now that its working out, its time to make it more pro.

Guild Member

Im ok with donate buttons and certainly in the past ive donated to many rpg sites where such donations meant the difference between a site disappearing or being able to continue.

My vote is go for it !

I still don't see a donate button...

Blog Entries

The donate button is located on the forum index page...I've received one donation thus far, and thank you! I'm hoping to make the purchase next friday if possible, so if you're planning on donating, between now and then would be the best.

Thanks for your support guys.

Done. Hopefully you can get at least 50% of the cost. It would be cool if you could get the total though.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast