Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Golden Sands, Redux!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks good to me so far...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

My only suggestion would be that in some places, the top/side edges of the forest come too close to a river or shoreline and so from far away look either thick or smudged.

I think the largest of the three small islands looks really good - you might want to go that direction and let the edges of your forest double as the shoreline and give your rivers some more room to breath.

Other than that, I'm really digging the style you've got going on with this one.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

It's always a struggle to accurately convey forested mountains in icon format, but I think you've really got something here. It's still a compromise, but it's by far the best I've seen. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the map come together.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImperial View Post
    I think the largest of the three small islands looks really good - you might want to go that direction and let the edges of your forest double as the shoreline and give your rivers some more room to breath.
    That's a really good idea.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think that you may have found your style msa...looks really nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for the positive feedback as usual all!

My only suggestion would be that in some places, the top/side edges of the forest come too close to a river or shoreline and so from far away look either thick or smudged.

I really appreciate this suggestion. I agree that the rivers look pretty sloppy, and the idea that I might be able to use the forests as an edge of the river is very promising. I think I can really do something cool with this suggestion and I'm looking forward to having the time to implement it.

This week looks promising to having some freedom and stability in my life. The next few days are heavy on interviews, and hopefully by the weekend there will be a real job on the horizon! And with it, some time to map (and have a real life in general)!

Quote Originally Posted by msa View Post
    ...The next few days are heavy on interviews, and hopefully by the weekend there will be a real job on the horizon! And with it, some time to map (and have a real life in general)!
    Best of luck with that, dude. I'm in the midst of revamping/updating my portfolio site and beginning the job hunt myself. Layoffs suck!

Best of luck with that, dude. I'm in the midst of revamping/updating my portfolio site and beginning the job hunt myself. Layoffs suck!
    Good luck to you too. One down, two to go. Next two days are going to be very busy.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Good luck on your interviews, guys. Getting ready to start a new job myself tomorrow after a nice little five-day break.

R.E. the map: Is this going to be strictly B&W, or do you plan to color it?

Wow, I can't believe it's been 2 years since I last posted on this!

I made a few updates to this map that I wanted to share. First, I colored it--I'd like to convey a watercolor + line drawing feel to it (although I'm not sure yet how to do the watercolor look). I'm trying to make fairly subtle use of color here, with dark, unsaturated colors for the lines and light, washed out colors for everything else. Second, I incorporated the suggestion to start using the forests to help define the edges of the land and water to clean up the map a little bit. You can see this now in the interior of the southwest island, and since I like it I'll probably start trying to apply this to the shoreline too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	golden-sands-hand.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	644.6 KB 
ID:	40937

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12