Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Golden Sands, Redux!

Wip The Golden Sands, Redux!

Well, I decided to take on two mapping projects, both larger in scale than any I've done before. Stupid me! I'll be plugging away on this one slowly but surely, but I wanted to get some feedback on it.

I'm converting the map that won me the lite challenge over from a realistic-style map over to a hand drawn one. So far I've only managed the coastlines, rivers, and a small section of mountains. This is meant to be printed on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper--I'd like a version that I can print and give to players during the game.

My main question is the mountains: do they look ok? They are sort of like some styles I've seen, but deviated from them a lot. I've intentionally made them evocative of pyramids and sand dunes to mesh with the arabia/egyptian feel of the world. I also decided to shade the valleys instead of doing a more natural lighting source, but I'm not sure I like it. An alternative would be to shade them as if the light was coming from the northeast.

For comparison, here is the original map:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5622

The hand-drawn version is a *lot* more time consuming so I am hoping for some feedback before I go too far down a bad path.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	golden-sands-hand.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	15288  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

They look fine to me...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I think with this style of map shading the valleys is better than shading from a light source. I feel like my eye expects symbols more than it expects realistic images, and so I prefer the shading of the mountains to be consistent.

Also, in some sense, there is a fixed light source in this version: the light is coming from "behind" all the mountains (i.e., from beneath the paper).

Oh, and I think the overall style of the mountains is good too. I like the concave sweeps of their ridges.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yep, looks fine to me as well. The hard part will be getting everything to mesh well with that very bold and stylish type of mountain with the big sweeping ridgeline. Keeping that style consistent will be the hard part, actually doing all of the drawing is the long part Good luck and good stuff so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for the feedback on my mountain shading--I thought it would actually be more clear and look better to shade the valleys. Although it wasn't nearly as well formed in my mind, that comment about symbolic representation vs. realistic representation was exactly my logic. I still lack the experience or confidence to be sure of these sorts of decisions, so its nice to hear from someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The hard part will be getting everything to mesh well with that very bold and stylish type of mountain with the big sweeping ridgeline.
    I'm beginning to see that! Its actually a whole lot harder to do a hand-drawn map than I expected! Particularly if you want it to look good in black and white. I never really thought about how much extra information color can convey until I had to make do without!
    Last edited by msa; 07-31-2009 at 12:17 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That might be a good idea for a challenge....B&W.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Very good stuff... I love black and white hand drawn maps... like at the start of fantasy novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    That might be a good idea for a challenge....B&W.
    I was thinking that too. Its really a much greater challenge than I expected, although in hindsight its obvious!

I'm all over the place on mapping projects right now... making very little progress per month on a large group of maps. This one was held up because my scanner/printer broke and I couldn't very well do the hand-drawing I needed for the project.

Here is the newest iteration, still only focused on the southwestern island, where I have added forests. I just want to see if there are any major problems with it before I move on the other other parts of the map and replicate the style.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	golden-sands-hand.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	623.8 KB 
ID:	16675  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

that is great. Absolutely nothing wrong with those forests, in faced I'm so impressed with the way you managed to convey forest covered hill/mountains I'mm keeping this pic around for reference. Brilliant.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast