Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continent for Sandbox-Campaign

Wip Continent for Sandbox-Campaign

Here is my WIP-Continent for my upcoming fantasy sandbox campaign. I used the Tool Heaven&Earth for Traveller to generate a planet an then chose this continent for our campaign.
    The map so far was done in Photoshop and Illustrator. I had (or have) some problems with realistic rivers (even after reading some extremely good tutorials here).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newworld1_continent.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	312.1 KB 
ID:	40368

Name:	newworld_continent_test3.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	409.7 KB 
ID:	40369

Thats really good man, nice job.

I think it looks great. For the rivers, you could add some curly side valleys, and I'd think about extending some coastal shelves.

The only thing unrealistic about the rivers is their smoothness. You have reasonable networks - only joins, no rebranching. But since this ia a continent thousands of kilometers across, one would expect the rivers to not only meander in flat terrain, but also to have some random direction changes in their upstream areas. One does see maps with the smooth-swooping, highly-generalized rivers, but they're more hand-drawn, sketchy maps, not the near-satellite-detailed ones like this style.

The rivers could stand being a little lighter - they're the boldest, darkest lines on the map. But that's a subjective thing - if you like it, and particularly if the rivers are a very important part of the story you're telling visually, then they're not "bad" this way. I will say if the stippled greenish texture is forests, I would maybe expect to see some more rivers in both south-bulging parts of the main continent. But again - a map doesn't show every river - at this scale it's OK to just show the major ones.

I do like it - it's got a pleasant look, the landforms are varied and interesting, the colors are good. Your mountain method generates better shapes than many do.

Wip

Thank you for your comments. I re-made the rivers and changed some colors.

Name:	newworld_continent_rivers.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	607.5 KB 
ID:	40448

Guild Novice

Wow, that's beautiful. Looks fantastic to me.

I really like the textures & colours of this map. The only thing I'd change is the 'depth' of the rivers. They seem to be deeper than the land and when seen from a distance like this, that'd only be possible if they had extremely steep banks... I think you used bevel/emboss? I'd turn the settings a little lower.

Otherwise a great map!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

It's perfect, and I think I got a few replies swallowed by pushing +reply to Thread instead of Post Quick Reply.

I think it's truly awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast