Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City Walls in Photoshop

The city walls are looking quite good, but did you notice that some of the tower shadows are more like they origin from a circle, and not from a cylinder (tower shape) object. ? Nothing more to complain, good work!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

No, I'm aware of the shadow issue. I'm trying to think of a way to improve on that with less work In the meantime, I'm approaching with the thought that they are more or less striaght cylinders without much of a skirt at the top

Maybe another nap...

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

CM -- here's how I've been doing my shadows for almost a year now:

1. Say it's a bunch of houses, ctrl+click on the houses layer to load it as a selection.
    2. New layer, fill it with black, deselect.
    3. Duplicate the layer, move it up and over (or down and over) with the arrow keys on the keyboard 1 up and 1 over.
    4. Repeat step 3 as many times as necesaary until I have a nice looking shadow.
    5. Merge these shadow layers, put the layer under the houses layer, and lower the opacity of the layer and sometimes a blur.

If I want to to a tower or something with a tall shape then I draw it in profile and then just rotate it to fit the sun angle, then do step 5.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I caught that in the tutorial, works wonderfully.

I'm just trying to find a way to do it without adding extra work if someone needs to edit the wall layout.

I hate having remember and find which layers have what when i'm fixing an oops

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Ah, nice. I was gone for a while, and interesting to return to see how things evolved. I am not slighted. hehe I like the changes you made, they are much more artistic than mine. Glad I inspired this bit of knowledge to come out, and I will probably use your tips to make my stuff more artistic and nicer looking. :p

Looks great, Coyote, but the problem with the rock pattern is that because it's linear it looks like an obvious fill with the lines of stone running diagonally along some of the walls. Perhaps a stone pattern which doesn't have horizontal straight lines in it might fit better....something like this, maybe?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tiling stone floor final.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	26193  

So Coyotemax, this thread is super old, but it's the only city wall tutorial that I've found and liked for my style (either of your versions above), but the steps you've provided are not quite enough to get me where I'm going. I'm sure it's pretty unlikely at this point, but is there any chance that you could make a little more comprehensive tutorial to mimic what you've done there?

-A grateful follower
    Last edited by projectedtowin; 01-30-2018 at 11:08 PM. Reason: reworded slightly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12