Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Tapered Rivers in GIMP

Tutorial [Award Winner] Tapered Rivers in GIMP

There have been many questions in the past on tapering rivers in Gimp... I stated in this tutorial on making rivers with a mouse in photoshop that Gimp didn't have tapered strokes

SO I wrote a little script-fu to do it!

This isn't so much a tutorial, as a posting of a new script. It ain't too fast, but it works

Just unzip the attachment at the end, and save the script into your normal spot.

Draw a path using the pen tool, then switch back to the paintbrush tool (the script strokes with the active tool, so you could even, for example, erase tapered strokes). The script registers under the Edit menu as "Tapered Stroke Path..."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menu.png 
Views:	2807 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	6661

The dialog allows you to select the start width, end width, spacing (20 percent is a good default, but by setting it to 100 you get a string of pearls effect), and a parameter called "Taper Exponent". This control the rate of taper. At 1, the taper is linear from the start to the end. At values less than 1 the taper changes faster, and greater than 1 the taper changes slower (nearer the end). I set the default at 5, which seems good for rivers.

Name:	dialog.png 
Views:	700 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	6662

Here is the result after stoking in black with the defaults. I have turned on the path visibility to show how it lines up:

Name:	taper.png 
Views:	736 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	6663

And since I have one more attachment, here is the image:

Name:	result.png 
Views:	497 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	6664

Couple of things... It will only stroke the first segment of a multi (broken) segmented path. If there are no paths, the script will run but error out.

Hope people find this one useful!

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files

Now i feel a new award for RobA will be coming soon Though i don't use gimp, this is no doubt worthy of a little rep from me sir.

Thanks.

Pat
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

Would rep you if I could, but at least I can rate the threat
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Thank you. I will definitely try this out.
    Last edited by lisze; 03-07-2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Removed ETA as I figured it out.

I've only just seen this script now. Thanks Rob, it will save me a fortune of time. Actually it would have saved me a whole lot more time if I had looked at it before doing the rivers on my challenge entry this month. Served me right for going to sleep.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Ya I'm using the script and I've used some others from you RobA but I seem to keep getting an error message saying invalid path.
    Now I looked and I noticed that in the Path to Stroke entry mine always says empty....what am i doing wrong?
    Surgeon's General Warning
    Heathan causes brain tumors, mass hysteria, random acts of violence, road rage, drunken nudity, world peace, 'the munchies', white noise, insanity, cthulu, anal leakage, METAL, presence of extraterrestrial, the freeing of ‘twins’, SNEAK ATTACK!, smoking, alcoholism, unadulterated awesomeness, and GANGSTA.

Eberron Ecologies 4/5 Rice Crispy Treats (by me and some other folks).
    The Ten Commandments of Character Optimization 5/5 Rice Crispy Treats

yay that's awesome, no I didn't do that because I didn't know that was a tool, that's pretty kewl, guess you do learn something new every day.
    Surgeon's General Warning
    Heathan causes brain tumors, mass hysteria, random acts of violence, road rage, drunken nudity, world peace, 'the munchies', white noise, insanity, cthulu, anal leakage, METAL, presence of extraterrestrial, the freeing of ‘twins’, SNEAK ATTACK!, smoking, alcoholism, unadulterated awesomeness, and GANGSTA.

Eberron Ecologies 4/5 Rice Crispy Treats (by me and some other folks).
    The Ten Commandments of Character Optimization 5/5 Rice Crispy Treats

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast