Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lambert from Glasgow

Post Lambert from Glasgow

Hello good folks of the guild,
    its nice to have people say hello so therefore hello. A little bit about myself. I am 31 years old, live in sunny Glasgow (Scotland) and work in IT. Apart from that I enjoy music all the way from traditional harp music (I own a much neglected Clarsach) to metal (the cheesy power and hair metal more then grindcore). I like to eat good food and beer as well as playing badminton and squash. I watch tons of TV (mostly American and Canadian series) and movies.

But you might care more about my interests in maps and the like. Here I have to be honest. I am an avid roleplayer and live roleplayer and I like a good handout to players, a good phys rep in a larp and a good clear mastercopy for the game runners. I have come here with the intention of stealing other peoples ideas, maybe even reusing some of the maps found here in my own game. (I started a table top game [Anima] after a couple years of abstinence from running games).

I am toying with getting a copy of Campaign Cartographer or something similar and play about with it but seeing that I spend all day in front of a computer I would much rather just buy or borrow existing maps. So I was hoping to find either maps people don't mind me using, advice to decent map folios/packs you can buy and should I go through with it and actually buy CC3 and some of its add ons some advise on how to get the best out of it.

That's all for now,
    I hope all is well in Cartography land.

Lambert

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Well, I must say welcome to the Guild.

Most people here do`'t mind the borrowing of their works, but there are a few provisos on that.

First, read the first post where you find the maps. While most of the people here work off the creative Commons licence, we also have some pros who make their living off of their maps and are greacious enough to let us see the works in progress. If they mention that a map is copyrighted, please, PLEASE follow the proper ediquete dictated by the terms of the copyright.

Secondly, if you find a map that you like and use, I am sure that the creator of that map would appreciate being told that you liked it enough to use . And don,t forget to Rep the mapper as well

CC is a good prog that can create some decent maps very quickly, so I believe that it might be the sort of prop for you. you could work on a map in incriments and come back to it when the insperation/inclination strikes. And as someone who also uses a comp all day, I have found that the time mapping goes much faster than work
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

As far as buying/borrowing maps, just contact the author (FYI you need at least 5 posts before you can PM), most of the maps here (unless specifically stated) are under the Creative Comments licence(s).

EDIT: Seems that Korash beat me to the proverbial punch...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the guild!

As said by the others, most maps here can be used for personal use. Just ask the author if he/she is ok with it.
    CC3 is a great piece of software though which will enable you to make your own maps pretty fast. You will have complete freedom then with the terrain, labeling, etc.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Any of my work you find on the site is free to take, use, modify, whatever. As long as you share alike and don't make money off it (and perhaps let anyone who asks know who the original creator is). Most of the other members follow a similar model. If you do use a map, send the creator a PM. Even those who don't mind at all will probably be pleased to know someone is using their map for something.
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome from a fellow Scot

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Nomadic hit the nail on the head...most of us don't mind we just love making stuff. It always give a warm n fuzzy feeling to know that someone thinks enough to use your map AND send a lil "Thank You" to boot...although I prefer to get paid in dancing girls because, like money, you can never have enough of either.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Hello fellow Celt!

I was born in Nova Scotia, does that count for something?

WOW! Lots of Scots recently, Half Scot myself being a THOMSON, NO "P", Sept Clan of Campbell of Argyle!

Oh, and Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Hello guys,
    first I have to debunk the rumour that I am a Scot. I am originally from Germany (and lived there until I was 16) before coming to Glasgow. Then I studied at Newcastle, worked in Derby for a few years before returning to the capital of Haggis in 2004. Its a great city and I love living here.

As for the maps I will indeed ask permission before using them. Using them would be me printing out a copy for the players of my table top game or printing out a copy and for myself to use behind the scene rather then trying to make money of it. For those who do make money from their maps though I am more then interested in buying good prints of nice maps. I have tons of old large colour maps from Das Schwarze Auge (which I love to the day) and find excuses to use and I am more then happy to pay good money for good maps.

So if you know of any nice map collections by all means let me know. And thank you for the warm welcome.

Lambert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast