Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: *** August 09 Challenge - Create a city map for Kaidan (sponsored) ***

Post No river police error - I'm pretty sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
    GP, what is the meandering line going through the middle of the city? Is that a stream? If so, I'm going to have to make a citizen's arrest for the River Police and hold you until the authorities arrive.

(edit) also, what is the significance of the rectangular line close to the river?
    The blue meandering line is the stream depicted in Tanaka's Challenge, used as the outer moat of the castle. This stream forks into the west river off map to the south.

The other blue line (the blocky one) is a canal - also shown in Tanaka's challenge.

You are free to place both water features anyway you want as long as both exit west of the castle into the West River.

All other (non blue) lines suggest changes in elevation, as the castle sits on a rocky hill to the south of the city layout.

There is no River Police issue, the stream and canal follow natural law!

Edit: just to note the west river flows south into the sea...

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 08-01-2009 at 01:58 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ph.D. my booty. I quit mine (in psychology) to be an artist. On second thought, maybe I wouldn't be starving if I had stayed with that
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I have several questions:
    1)The city layout as it pertains to the overall world map of Kaidan.
    When you look at the world map, the city of Oten-jo is on the north and east side of the river.
    Is that correct? Should we build a map based on the sample city layout or the world map layout?

2)Also is there a desired size for the map? W X H and aspect ratio?

3)Does it need to have a decorative border and a title or will that be added by Gamerprinter with the other text?
    Sorry if these questions are know to everyone else already.
    I am quite new and could not find these in the rules or entry requirements.

Thanks
    Last edited by WidowMakers; 08-01-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Post Good catch, but...

Quote Originally Posted by WidowMakers View Post
    I have a question about the city layout as it pertains to the overall world map of Kaidan.
    When you look at the world map, the city of Oten-jo is on the north and east side of the river.
    Is that correct? Should we build a map based on the sample city layout or the world map layout?

Thanks
    Good catch, I noticed that too. Actually I will be altering that map a bit, and moving the city of Oten-jo on the west side of the river, rather than the east side as it sits now. As soon as I started creating the reference photo composits for this, I noticed it too. Its been a while since I looked at this map.

For reiteration, Oten-jo should be located on the west side of the river.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Wow you are fast. I was updating my post with 2 more questions and BOOM, you already answered it before I could submit it.

So if the city is located on the west side now, there will be no need for a bridge to go to Sendai as it will most likely cross much further north correct?

Post You can put in a bridge if you want!

Rules does not state anything about bridges or ferries. Japanese used both and built bridges that crossed really wide rivers. You are free to do as you please in this regard.

Regarding crossing to reach Sendai - yes there is probably multiple bridges that cross any river in Kaidan. Still putting in a bridge is completely up to you.

There's some detail I require in general layout, a stream, a canal and the mentioned various districts. Beyond that, all detailing is up to the cartographer. There has to be some room for the cartographers creativity. Too much restriction stifles creativity - I don't want to do that.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

I'm going to take a stab at this.
    I haven't done any city maps so I may fall flat on my face, but it's worth a try.
    -D

Blog Entries

There is no River Police issue, the stream and canal follow natural law!
    But the beveled design suggests, and you later reiterate, that the non-blue dividing lines designate a change in elevation, and the stream appears to flow up-hill into the samurai district from the temple district as it flow around the castle mount.

So is the castle mount the only actual elevated area or should the river skirt the samurai district?

Count me in.

I was hoping this challenge would come up. I've never done a Japanese-styled map before (and only a couple fully realized city maps), but with the history and chase map, plus all the resource images, this will be lots of fun to explore.

So there are no size limits or minimums either? I assume that I can't do a 500x500 map and you most likely don't want a 10,000x10,000.

I guess I am just asking what are the approximate sizes that these maps are. Again since I have never does this before, i don't wan to hurt myself for picking an inappropriate size.

Quote Originally Posted by DevinNight
    I'm going to take a stab at this.
    I haven't done any city maps so I may fall flat on my face, but it's worth a try.
    -D
    Well I have never done any map like this before. So if you fall on your face, I will be there right beside you. lol

Thanks

EDIT: I apologize. This question was answered on the first page. I need to learn to open my eyes.
    Last edited by WidowMakers; 08-01-2009 at 11:47 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast