Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Photoshop Town Tutorial

Already started playing with it... GIMP does have a lighting effects filter, but the settings are different enough that I'm confused...

15. Click on the Mountains layer. Filter > Render > Lighting Effects...use the setting in the attached image.
    ???
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, no image. Like I said, it's nowhere near done. If you have a copy of my atlas or continent tutorials then the same lighting effects images are in those.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

The nice thing about having done one tutorial from Ascension is that if you remember to save the lighting effect styles, it will save time if you do the others

(i'm doing the bridge shadows right now - as well as the bridge I have a series of docks and wharfs - headache!!)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Yeah, but knowing you, you'll pass with flying colors
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Originally I wasn't going to post any pics till I completed the tutorial, but I have to say, I could not get step 88 (foam around the bridge footings) to work for me. I went over it several times following exactly as written.. So in this step I have to say I completely deviated from the tutorial (I've been avoiding doing that so i can test the tutorial for you, heh)

I'll paste in my comment and working notes (I've been putting tutorial comments on bold, and my own working notes for future reference into italics) to show you what I've been going through so far

Step 88 – no matter what I do, following exactly, I can’t get the lines to look anything at all other than simply 3px wide squiggles drawn in with a brush.
    Ended up using one of the spatter looking brushes at 20% flow 20% opacity with dynamics/other opacity jitter set to 0 with fade at 100. drew around the footings with the spatter brush at.. 40? size. Used a 14px version with 25 fade for the pilings on the docks. Ripple medium all at 85%, then motion blurred 20. Set a 50px round splatter brush to fade at 50 through dynamics, used that to brush inwards along the downstream portion. Short strokes and single clicks around the upstream section of the footer.Still not happy with downstream so smudged it out a bit for more length, then a few touches with the same eraser.

Ok, so I'm a stickler for details when I write up my notes. I got tired of not being able to recreate effects

That having been said, this is what I ended up with, I used some pics from google to get ideas as to what the end effect should look like.
    (I've been avoiding looking at any other town maps while doing the tut, keeping influences out.. you're amazingly thorough considering there are no pics to work with, and I think I'm doing an ok job so far)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pilings.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	15566  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Looks fantastic. Here's a simpler thing for you to do with the brush strokes here...use the basic 3 pixel brush tip and draw a squiggly line, since it's ugly and not tapered, grab the smudge tool (with a 5 pixel tip altho you can play with that) and smudge out the ends of the stroke with a squiggly motion...this will taper them and looks like it was done with a tablet (which I used). You can also use the blur tool to lower the opacity those tips as well.

I will definitely keep that in mind. (one of these days I may even justify getting a tablet!)

thanks! ( I think I'll stick with the current method for the moment for the sake of consistency, only have to do in the mill right now, but that sounds a lot easier, heh)

[edit - or cheat and use creative copy/paste/edit/modify of the foam i already have, yay]
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 08-05-2009 at 11:09 PM.

My finished maps

So far still kinda fumbling around trying to figure out which lighting effect setting in GIMP is which setting in Photoshop...
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Having a go at this myself although I'm struggling to work out how to scale it correctly to the landmass I'm placing it on.

Scale threw me off, and it's still throwing me off even though I've figured out what it should be I was working at 1px=1foot, which you would think would be easy to remember, but I keep finding things don't look right, so if I consider them at haf that (1px=6") it looks better, but still doesn't feel quite right

For the moment, I'm just going by looks, but I trust my artistic eye to tell me if something feels off

I know there's the "lazy" method of making houses, but I really want to follow this one as is. And I do like the way this is turning out, it's just taking me a long time. heh
    **I has developed a whole new respect for those who put out city maps..**

My finished maps

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast