Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Photoshop Town Tutorial

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It should be on a layer of its own, clear around it. Ambitious undertaking as towns are the hardest things to do and my tuts aren't easy either...especially since it's just written and not totally done. I'll help ya as much as I can and so will (probably, hopefully) Coyotemax since he's been through it (and gotten a Feature Map award for it to boot).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

So then the way I have it on my picture I posted is correct?

I guess so, can't really tell. As long as it's on its own layer with nothing else on it (like white background), then yes. The river builds up over successive layers and it's pretty subtle, some layers may seem to do nothing until it all comes together.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Okay then .... I will keep at it

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Sorry, took me a bit to find this. The river was the fun part of the map, and ascension is completely correct - many layers come together for the river. I was confused a few times wondering what the layer was for, but just kept following, and it came together when it was supposed to. So absolutely, keep going with what you're doing

Start up a thread under th city mapping section so you can post your progress and get tips as you go It's a lot easier to get fedback on things and make changes as you go rather than go back after it's all done to start making corrections.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Started trying to follow this (using gimp); I knew that things wheren't going to translate over completely but I am working diligently. I see there are others trying to make a gimp conversion of this tut, any body got a working copy?

Escelent tut by and by very indepth.

Blog Entries

Been playing with this for the October challenge and something, somewhere went south I think. It is difficult to know without reference pictures to compare with. I screenshot the whole thing so you could see the layer orders Ascension. Hopefully that helps diagnose the problem.

The water texture is completely hidden. The bevel make it look like there's high, steep, muddy banks around all of the river, above the water level. I sense that they should be under the water and that the waves should be visible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 35.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	536.6 KB 
ID:	17463

I think it looks fine so far. The whitecaps and ripples come in a few more steps so keep going and see what happens.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shantedracule View Post
    Started trying to follow this (using gimp); I knew that things wheren't going to translate over completely but I am working diligently. I see there are others trying to make a gimp conversion of this tut, any body got a working copy?

Escelent tut by and by very indepth.
    I have found that it is always handy to link your WIP thread here, in the tut thread so that others may look at what you are doing and maybe dicover ways of getting over their own stumbling blocks. Even more so if you are trying it out in a prog that the tut was not written for. I would also recomend that you make copious note on the conversions 'cause they will come in handy when you try other tuts for that other prog.

If that makes any sense
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

so I've been handed a copy of photo shop 7.0, and I can't seem to get it to save the images in the zip as patterns, and I can't get it to load them for patterns...

I tried saving them as patterns in gimp, but that doesn't seem to work either...
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast