Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Photoshop Town Tutorial

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Tutorial [Award Winner] Photoshop Town Tutorial

This is by no means complete and I haven't even finished proofreading it yet. There are no screenshots and I can't really answer questions either since I'm still editing it and changing techniques. It is long, it is hard, and it is complex. You will probably get confused and have many questions. I just wanted to put this up here for those who are going to do this current challenge...just to have something to get you started. I hope to have it done by the end of next week and chopped into smaller sections. So if you do get lost then just make up stuff and try new things...that's what I'm doing too This is just temporary and I'll be updating things as I go. Please bear with me and good luck. This is an Open Office doc file so if it corrupted then let me know. On the good side...you all get to be beta testers The pic below shows where I am in terms of proofreading so that is why it is incomplete. The terrain part is pretty well nailed down, though, so you should be able to get that part done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Town Tut.jpg 
Views:	2017 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	15385  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ascension; 08-01-2009 at 03:40 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

I haven't read it yet (preparing for game in 15 minutes) but I am sure this will be as good as the rest of your stuff sir

That pic rocks
    You are still getting better at this...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it cuz I'm feeling really frazzled right now trying to get this done. I need a valium or something
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Excellent, file is downloaded and as soon as i get to taking a break from the current map, I'll start reading through (and probably try it out shortly thereafter)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

ooft thats a lot of reading

Awesome! I'm off to bed, soon, and work tomorrow, but I'm definitely going to have to take a look at this.

Geidor's nearing completion of a first draft (I think I'm going to have it printed tomorrow, just because I can. Well, and because I need to test something at work, but I prefer the previous reason), and I'm going to need a new map project very soon. I hadn't decided, yet, whether I'd do another world, or a city, but this might just decide it.

-asp

Downloaded, and printed (booklet style) so that I can read through it while doing my daily walk...
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I have no doubts that its up to your usual quality work, and will check it out in the near future.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I've been working on it ona nd off for the last 2 days, I've been keeping a word document of notes regarding changes that may be considered (there's at least one spot where I needed to reset a brush before using it again, took me a while to figure it out, for example). Mostly it's little stuff though, though i've been keeping a log of my own personal working notes too

I like it so far, it's VERY thorough.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast