Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with tectonics

I finished the islands! God, is it boring... I got an interesting landmark though - the cross near the southern continent. I realized that the islands were organized in such an interesting manner after I placed the majority of it, and I kind of like it ^_^ I think I'll make it a scar of some epic battle. I have plenty of those in the history ^_^

Does the map look possible (aside from the cross)? I have this nagging feeling I did something wrong, but I've been staring at this thing since 5 am so probably my brain's just broken @_@
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newmap.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	524.8 KB 
ID:	15526  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think it looks fine, my latest 'continental map is even more disjointed than this (outside of the island cross), but as long as you're happy then it's all good.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

as long as you're happy then it's all good.
    The problem is, I'm not @_@ I can see something's not right but I've been looking on this map for so long I can't see what. What do you mean by 'disjointed' and how can it be fixed? o_O

Sorry, poor choice of words there, no reflection on your map (I'm still trying to wake up ). I just meant that I disregarded anything to do with tectonic plates and continental formation science and went with something that looked cool to me.

Are you trying to make it geologically accurate?

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

It's already more or less geologically accurate, now I just want to make it pretty ^_^ Coloring aside, it seems to me that the shapes are wonky or some islands are missing or something else that can be done to make it more aesthetically pleasing...

It's difficult to tell until you actually start adding the terrain, etc. in (at least for me).

I suppose that the continents could be a bit bigger, but again it depends on what you imagined the world to be.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

I'd say you're missing some distinctly japanese island style off-shore island chains. You've got some good looking chains (I think the cross looks good), but I'd want to see something offshore of one of the main continents. Do you have any just off-shore convergent boundaries where such islands might occur?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

The only problems I see with the surface currents are both in the Northern hemisphere. The NW Continent has a strand of cold coming off its NE shores, which seems legitimate to me, but not by itself. The warm currents from the south would probably split some at that headland and you'd get some into the bay (which I imagine would be somewhat warm for its latitude for that reason), and some would go up the eastern edge of the continent.

The same would be true, I think, of the NE-most continent. You'd probably get warm currents on its eastern-most shore, as well.

I think it was Karro that mentioned earlier in this thread, too, about the high ratio of water to land and how it would effect climate, and now's a good time to start looking at some of that. I think this could be a very interesting planet, climatologically.

You're going to have a lot of water moving about your seas, so latitude's going to be a little less important for much of the climate than it is on Earth - might want to make sure you feel reasonably comfortable with your currents for that reason.

Otherwise, it looks absolutely great, so far! I love the landmasses and the new islands. They're a little quirky at first glance, but in a good way - especially because they seem plausible, which makes it all the more fun. Can't wait to see the rest of this.

-asp

altasilvapuer
    I'll look at the currents a bit later, thanks for pointing it out to me. I'm all climated out at the moment @_@

Karro
    I think you're right about Japanese-like formation. I'll add one, I have a place just for them (there's a convergent boundary on top of the southern continent.

I've more or less finished climates (well, finished forming a very vague idea about how they might work) and decided that going through all the continents drawing rivers is just a bit too much for me o_O I'm going to do this map one continent at a time.

This is - ta-da-da-dam! - the last stage of preparation before I actually begin drawing, applying textures, bla-bla-bla. Just wanted to show this to river police:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amikhail.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	289.3 KB 
ID:	15531  

Dang, you're fast with those rivers.

Also, since I see that you're using Photoshop, you should check out this spiffy tutorial on making rivers via paths. It's a pretty genius idea, and worked wonders for me:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1907
    Unless of course, you're using a tablet, in which case excuse me whilst I envy you profusely.

At any rate, I like the elevation of the mountains, so far. Very spiffy design. Did you just paint each layer by hand, or was it done with the selection tool and the contract function of selections?

-asp

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast