Thread: Help with tectonics

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Mapping Sapere from the ground up

Hi ^_^ I've been lurking for a while and now I'm starting my very first mapping project. It's in the beginning stages and I only have drafts of the continents and approximations of mountains. The map is of a fantasy world, and even though it has a lot of magic and unbelievable events in its history I sort of became obsessed with doing the physical geography of it right. I studied different articles on it for a while, but in the end I think I need some advice.

The red are the tectonic plates, the blue is the tectonic movements, and the green are the mountains. The brown triangles are places where I intend to place islands.

My question are:

1. Do the continents look good? When I came up with the shapes I sort of went with what seemed aesthetically pleasing, but do they actually look like continents and not like random black blobs?

2. Do the tectonics make sense?

3. Did I miss any mountains? Did I put mountains where the shouldn't be any?

4. Does the island placement make sense? I sort of spaced by the time the articles I read started on volcanic island formation o_O

I would appreciate every bit of advice. I know I'm stressing over things that most people won't care about when they look at the map, but for some reason it's become very important for me to get it right.

\\ tectonic map edited according to suggestions \\
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapsmall plain.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	15392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapsmall tect.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	15399  
    Last edited by Laime; 08-04-2009 at 11:17 PM.