Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Westeros made with Pasis' tutorial

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tear View Post
    In one of the books it is stated that Moat Cailin is really close to the headwaters of the Fever River, so it should be in the right area.
    I might still tweak the exact location if I'm able to dig up additional information.
    Check this site... Westeros.org

One of the best sites I've found for ASoIaF, I believe one of the admins (Werthead IIRC), posts here on occaision.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Check this site... Westeros.org

One of the best sites I've found for ASoIaF, I believe one of the admins (Werthead IIRC), posts here on occaision.
    Thanks, General.

Seems like I have some research to do.

I already discovered that "Sun House" on the southern end of the Reach is actually the name of the village around the keep. The keep itself is called "Sunflower Hall". A blatant mistake on my part that will be corrected in the next version.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Actually, I deleted your posts in the other thread
    A very efficient admin. Thanks a lot. My honour is now safe

Some additions and corrections.

Latest WIP:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	westeros_wip4.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	15489  

Looks very good. Oh, I love those map symbols BTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Tear View Post
    Some additions and corrections.

Latest WIP:
    Just another fan heaping praise your way. An awesome tribute for an answer story.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Literalmn View Post
    Just another fan heaping praise your way. An awesome tribute for an answer story.
    I've never heard of the "answer story" genre before.

Howebeit, the point (of awesomeness) remains.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Curses! Foiled by the browser's spell checker. And not proofreading.

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    I've never heard of the "answer story" genre before.

Howebeit, the point (of awesomeness) remains.

Praise

That's a tremendously beautiful map. I'm one of the founders of Westeros.org (and have done most of the work in regards to things like the Concordance) and I do think you'll find it useful for some of the details. We're currently contracted to co-author The World of A Song of Ice and Fire with George, and could certainly point the map out to him if you haven't done so yourself (though he's soon off to Worldcon).

I made my own stab at a map of Westeros (purely in a graphics program, Campaign Cartographer is beyond me), which is think the most complete that currently exists, incorporating all information from all the maps. It's a poor, sorry thing next to your own, but it might have some additional details you'd like to incorporate.

It can be found here (you can click on the image to expand it to full size). I believe I have the same issue in regards to Sun House/Sunflower Hall, something I need to see about, but otherwise I think it's fairly accurate.

We host a number of fan-created maps of Westeros there, and I think we'd be very pleased if we could host your own map (or provide a thumbnail and link through to your own site) should you be interested when you've finalized it. If you'd like to discuss it, you can contact me at webmaster@westeros.org

Oh, one detail that immediately springs to mind is the location of Starfall. GRRM's stated that it's in fact an island. I think I'd nudge your symbol for it just a smidge to the left, as there's a bit too much land showing between it and the river currently. And now that I think of it -- and this is just a suggestion -- but I think introducing more red into the Dornish mountains would be a good idea. The "red mountains of Dorne" are one of the first geographic details we have of that region. And for that matter, representing the more arid, desert climate of Dorne (much as you've shown the colder, more icy climate of the far North) could help provide some additional color and contrast while at the same time better representing the geography.

Really impressive work, Tear. Quite amazing!
    Last edited by Balerion; 08-04-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Balerion View Post
    I made my own stab at a map of Westeros (purely in a graphics program, Campaign Cartographer is beyond me)...
    You can't do that with Campaign Cartographer - no knock against that program, but the level of beauty portrayed here is just a level above and beyond what can be done with that, from everything I've seen. Work like this requires two things that Tear obviously has: (1) Skill & Talent and (2) a graphic/photo editor a bit more powerful than CC (in Tear's case, apparently, Photoshop).
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast