Thread: August Entry: Oten'jo by DN [dropped out]

Post August Entry: Oten'jo by DN [dropped out]

Here is my initial sketch of Oten'jo.
    It is subject to change as I start working in an actual scale.

Some basic ideas I'm working with.
    The castle is built into the base of a mountain, with the stone quarried to make the walls around most of the city. It will most likely have a moat that is supplied by the river coming out of the mountains.

The canal feeds from the larger river and dumps into the smaller river. (river police can call me on this)

The canal and the smaller river make natural borders for the various classes.

The majority of the farming is done across the river with a ferry system to carry grain across the river.

The samurai district is built on the sloping base of the mountain and a temple here is built into the mountain as well.

Well that is the most basic stuff, there are a few sketches near the top of the buildings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1stsketch.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	15455  

Very interested to see this progress
    Like the sketches so far.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Ooooh, this challenge is gonna be fun. I am already digging what the everyone is doing
    Something witty and pithy

Post Glad to see another entry!

I'm glad you're giving this a shot! Especially since you, like many, have never tried a city map before. Like Gandwarf, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Yup, interested in this too. Your maps rock Devin.

Thanks for the positivity so far.

Here is a nights work.. though it won't look like much.
    These are some buidlings and a bit of wall which I made a custom brush so that I could draw in a line and then have it filled with walls and towers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OtenJoBuildings.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	15568  

Well it looks like I am going to have drop out of the race. I just won't have the time for such a complex map.
    However GP was nice enough to commission some tokens and let me post a WIP thread on making those tokens and the various steps to go from sketch to finals.
    So I will be starting a new thread in the appropriate area and will be spending my free time making those tokens for Kaiden instead.

If in the future we come back to an Asian setting and it's a smaller scale, say a small village then I will try again.

-D