Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ironcrag Cantons

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Post The Ironcrag Cantons

Here's a map that I created for a recent supplement by Open Design: Dwarves of the Ironcrag Cantons.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IroncragCantonsWeb.jpg 
Views:	508 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	15460

This is the low res version by request of the publishers. The high res is three times the size. As this is published, the map is Rights Reserved rather than CC licensed as per my sig.

This was a lot of fun to work on. The supplement does a full-blown treatment of dwarves that I feel has been long overdue. It opens with a nice editorial reminding the readers of the origins of the dwarven race in our own myths and legends. The rest of the book makes good on that promise, treating the dwarves as a proud race of smiths and crafters with a strong raiding ethic and a fatal flaw of greed. It has a secret brotherhood (clearly inspired by the masons - appropriately enough), a cult of Mammon - the god of greed, and some excellent monsters, templates, feats and prestige classes. I'd highly recommend picking up a copy for both the fluff and the crunch if you have an interest in the dwarven race (and no, I was not paid to say that! I already have my future contracts nailed down with this company so I say this because I really enjoyed reading the material that I was drawing the maps for).

Anyway, as always - comments and criticisms much appreciated. I don't get to post WIPs much anymore but I really value people's advice. If you can see areas that you feel this could be improved in then please let me know.
    Last edited by torstan; 08-03-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very cool!

Love the shields/coat of arms thingies!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ooo, very nice. Diggin it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Just had it referred to as 'very impressive' by a certain Mr West. Made. My. Day.

Very nice looking map.
    I really like the way you made the mountains look.
    -D

Yes Ravells. This certainly ended up getting a lot more detailed than previous maps. I like the mountains, but they did take forever! Still all hand drawn though.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Much appreciated. I feel a mountain style tutorial coming on

Wow this looks killer! The details add a lot. It has that look that makes you want to figure out what every little thing is -- study the "summer passes" versus the "winter passes", etc. Great job!

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

This is sheer and absolute awesome.

The fact that it was done by hand makes it only awesomer, and that's not even a word!

If this map and Chuck Norris got in a fight, this map would win.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Just oneword Woooo!!!

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast