Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow...

Post Wow...

Hello all,

I just found this forum, and I have to say its great! I've been in love with sketching maps for years now. Literally since the day I first looked at the all maps in my fathers old fantasy novel collection I've been at the very least doodling a map here or there in my off time, usually for what ever game world I'm working on. I'm not exactly the most computer savvy person on the planet, so it never really dawned on me to look around for sites like this one.

Until the other day when a rather artistic friend of mine was showing me a little of what he was working on with some program he called GIMP...

As usual, his assortment of fantasy art was great, but the first thing that hit me was how great the program would be for mapping! A bit of free time later, a quick google moment and here I am!

Now to start reading all these tutorials!
    "Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."

- C.S. Lewis

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome to the guild. Obviously the Tutorials section is the place to learn and the Finished Maps section is the place to get inspiration. The Works In Progress threads are more about technique and theory and show you what others are currently working on and how they solve their problems. Poke around and have fun.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Welcome aboard. I am new here myself and there is a TON of stuff to read and mess with. The tutorial section is great. Plus there is a wide variety depending on the software you choose to use.

Plus everyone is very friendly and helpful. This place is great.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Welcome from another noob! This place IS great, no doubt about it. Just the tutorials alone are worth their weight in gold. Waitaminute... they don't weigh anything... ah, you know what I mean.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I just did some checking...the weight of standard paper is .16 of an ounce. The current price of gold is $957.70 per ounce. So they really are worth their weight in gold in this case $153.23 per page or 220 euros. How cool is that?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I can get behind that.

Welcome.

Its a nice place. Wipe your shoes and make a map !

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild!

Thanks for the kind welcome everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by AslanC View Post
    Welcome to the Guild!
    Dude, its cool that you show up here! I'm a fan of what I've seen in your NDotW campaign setting! In fact, seeing your map was very inspirational.
    "Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."

- C.S. Lewis

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wyldabeast View Post
    Dude, its cool that you show up here! I'm a fan of what I've seen in your NDotW campaign setting! In fact, seeing your map was very inspirational.
    Thanks. Might I ask where I have seen you? Or more to the point, where you saw my stuff?

Have you seen the new maps that Coyotemax has been doing? They simply rock!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast