Thread: Red Hand of Doom 'final' dungeon - WIP

Guild Apprentice

Wip Red Hand of Doom 'final' dungeon - WIP

Hello again dear guild members.

After a few weeks back home to Norway and some traveling around here in Korea I got back to some more attempts at mapping.

Next up when my players eventually get there, if they get there, is the Fane of Tiamat located within the mountains. All credits to Mike Schley (http://www.mikeschley.com) who created the original maps for WotC.

Everything is done in CC3 and since it's a WIP I haven't scaled it for play yet.
    I've spent most of the time creating walls, recreating them and fixing up gaps so that I could MultiPoly the mountain around the rooms and hallways. There are still some I can't find that only show up if I put texture on the black area around, so I kept it black.

I'm looking around for fitting textures for polished stone floors and caves, and also experimenting with sheet effects which is why I have yet to put in any details like doors, stairs etc.

The "granite" room has a separate floor texture as it's a natural cave, though granite isn't the best texture here so it will be changed. And the elevation between the tiers could perhaps be shown in a better way.

Comments, criticism and suggestions are much appreciated

edit: I just noticed the corners near the southern entrance, they have been fixed with a quick line to path.
    ===

As a small side project (and so much harder) I've been working on an overland map for the players, but since we switched to both Pathfinder rules and campaign setting I changed the whole map to fit in Golarion. East in Golarion between Taldor and Galt and replaced Brindol with Yanmass.

The map is supposed to have been drawn by a hobgoblin, though with eventually more detail than what is on the original map in RHoD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elsir Vale3.JPG 
Views:	891 
Size:	443.1 KB 
ID:	15481  
    Last edited by Leonal; 12-05-2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Deleted the dungeon map to avoid any copyright infringements. -Leonal

looks good so far. keep up the work
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I like them both, and the style on the second map really does suit your intent.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Apprentice

Thanks, both of you.

Since the second map is my first of any overland map the hobgoblin style is what I manage so far (with not too much effort), but even hobgoblins have to practice^^

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

hobgoblins, hobbits, humans, the only way to get better is to practice

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Wow, that looks good ^_^ Certainly better than some of the handouts I've given my players... If you want suggestions, I have a few minor ones.
    The overland map might look better if you use softer brush. The borders between colors look a bit jarring. It's also seems like part of the map is floating in the air. Have you tried applying the parchment texture on top of the colors, not underneath? I also think it would look better if the black lines were a bit softer. Maybe blur them?
    The dungeon map is very clean-looking and generally spiffy. I especially like the dark-grey room, the one with tiled floor. Actually, I think the tiling is the key here. Dungeon floors aren't generally composed of solid marble. I making the rest of the marble tiled as well might look more realistic. Also I don't know about other cartographers, but I have no clue what the curvy lines in the two big rooms mean. o_O

Keep mapping ^_~

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for your suggestions Laime^^

Yes, I haven't applied any effects on the overland map yet as it's not my main priority. If I manage I'll try to make it look somewhat crudely hand drawn, or I might just use it as it is to show the players where they are in the new world.

Yes, I'm not happy with the tiling either. The morgue floor tiling in the dark room I like, but I used it in the entire previous dungeon I did, and this dungeon is carved into the mountain and the stone floor is polished in at least some places if not all. I will look for something more gray though.

The in the white room separates two levels in the room. If I had put in the stairs it'd be clearer, but they're not there yet. You can see it better at WotC's site http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4map/20060228a http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/rhod_maps/95696.jpg

In the other room it's supposed to separate three tiers of elevation with about 5ft between.

Guild Apprentice

Added some stairs (found at dundjinni forums) and used Redrobes's seamless texture tutorial to create floor tiles off some real tiles I found online.

The elevation in the cave room doesn't look too good yet, so I'll have to work on that. Also have to fix the floor in the NE room as there are different objects and you can see the lines between them.

Scaled it to 50x/5ft^ so it's a bit big.
    Last edited by Leonal; 12-05-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Post Latest WIP

Latest WIP

I noticed two horizontal lines that appeared after exporting it through pdfcreator. I'll see if I can remove those later.

Busy with my new and lovely Pathfinder pdf now, so less mapping in this heat.
    Last edited by Leonal; 12-05-2009 at 08:44 PM.