Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: July/Aug 2009 Lite Challenge Entry: Belly of the Beast

Wip July/Aug 2009 Lite Challenge Entry: Belly of the Beast

May be getting on board a little late, but hopefully in the next few days I'll be able to put a bit of work into this and come out with something functional.

May be stretching the theme a little, from fairytale to parable, but I've always loved the story of Jonah and the Whale, since I was a little kid, in all it's various iterations.

So, fiddling around with a map of the insides of a ship-swallowing leviathan. What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JonahUpload.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	15560

Shipwrecks are just outlines at this point, and need a good bit more work. Pretty happy with the spongy flesh beaches though.

LOL, I like it. Ship might be a little large, though. Think WAY bigger beast.

(Are we planning an Islets Of Langerhans joke ...?)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat idea, looking forward to seeing it finished.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

This is bloody brilliant!

and re the islets of langerhans (ok, that's funny), i did a dungeon back in highschool that I called the Crypts of Lieberkühn - Uh oh, now i'm thinking again.. Way to go Jack, you source of inspiration, you

Still, this is a GREAT idea!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Wip Jul/Aug Lite Contest Entry - Belly of the Beast

A night's tinkering yields this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JonahUpload2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	15567

Definitely great advice from Toff, adds a much better sense of scale with those ships a good bit smaller.

Got distracted fiddling with 1 pixel ropes, nets, and rigging that aren't even visible, the miniature painter in me, I suppose.

Background needs some work still, as well.

The name of your map put a smile on my face.. But I can't see Steven Seagal anywhere. ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0357474/ )

Nice map btw! Though I did notice some overscaled textured ( clear pixellation ). You could get a higher resolution texture to replace it. Is there a texture missing from the ground also (plain gray area)? How did you do that effect on the water, just being curious. It looks pretty cool Good luck with the map. And just to make this one perfect, maybe you should consider actually putting Mr. Seagal somewhere on the map.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Very cool. I love the way this is developing, and Jykke is right, that is one of the coolest water effects I've seen!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

@Jykke

Heh, yeah - I suppose so. Though, Seagal needs no maps. He just picks a direction and starts punching 'til he sees daylight. I could just carve a straight line out of the belly and off the edge of the map and label it 'Steven's Pass'.

Yeah, the textures on the background are all wonky. Hope to address that soonish. Not sure I'm seeing the area with the missing texture you're talking about though, unless it's part of the messy slap-dash background.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Very cool. I love the way this is developing, and Jykke is right, that is one of the coolest water effects I've seen!
    Yeah, I'm pretty happy with how the water effect came out.
    A background gradient, then a few hand (or mouse, as the case may be) drawn 'ripples' in descending brush size with ascending brightness, up to a 1 px highlight of pure white, then slap the whole works with a Distort->Glass filter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast