Thread: 1956 U.S. Made Maps of Japan

Post 1956 U.S. Made Maps of Japan

Hi Everyone

I wasn't sure where best to put these so I thought I'd stick em in here.

I have been assisting a researcher at work with some map scanning, and I thought that you guys may like to see them.

These are U.S. drawn road network maps with relief detail, and the three maps show the entirity of Japan. These were scanned at 300dpi and have been resized to about a 3rd of the original size so I can load em on here.

I have also been experimenting with a javascript magnifying tool on these maps and you can see the results at

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~cczjmm/magnify/japan.html

If we come across more maps of interest I'll post some up here.

*edit - just realised that only the southern Japan is a 1956 map, the other two are 1945*
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Central_Japan.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	15575   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	North_Japan.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	15576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	South_Japan.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	15577  
    Last edited by ukgpublishing; 08-06-2009 at 01:46 PM.

God I love maps.

But kinda LOL @ the mountain textures. They really make it looks as if all of Japan consists of homogenous rough terrain with almost no variation anywhere.

Whoa. Deja vu. ... Did we have some Greek island maps like this?

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    God I love maps.

But kinda LOL @ the mountain textures. They really make it looks as if all of Japan consists of homogenous rough terrain with almost no variation anywhere.
    Hehe better not let you loose in the Schools map library then, we'd never see you again.

The lack of texture on the maps is quite odd, but the function of these maps was roads and communications, so terrain features were secondary. What these maps do show nicely is how mountains look from an aerial shot without confusing the issue with texture and colours.

Thank you for sharing. I love hearing about historical documents/maps/books/etc being scanned at hi-res and available (in theory) to the world.

Ooh, thanks for posting these! Very interesting to look at! ^^

I have some of the same area maps scanned from earlier in the century (I think they were around 1920's) so I'll try and post these as well.