Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My World - Arillian [WIP]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip My World - Arillian [WIP]

Hello All,

I am building the lore for my fantasy universe of Arillian. Part of that is the geographical aspects, of which I have begun to map things out. The maps I make will be used my an interactive map viewer I will be making for my world. You will be able to start at the world map and then drill down, and each map will have nice hover windows with information.

I have a world map, which has only one continent flushed out (Krava). I took inspiration from the Eberron Campaign Manual , inside the cover. It is just the land masses, bodies of water, and rivers.

The continental map is of Krava. It has some political areas on it, that will be described outside the map itself. The Corica Map is #1 on the continental map up close. Kromgor is #14 on the continental map up close.

I originally submitted it for comments and review here:

CC3 Show and Tell

and got a lot of good advice and comments which has helped me shape it to where it is now. I have recently joined this forum, and am interested in hearing feedback on the my first set of maps ever (unless you count heroes of might and magic maps!).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3795018358_6dcc7c8662_o.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	668.7 KB 
ID:	15583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3794183449_c5c00f9ea3_o.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	535.2 KB 
ID:	15584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3791189009_d4c40742a2_o.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	525.6 KB 
ID:	15585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3780746402_3c82311de0_o.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	15586  

Well, I commented on the Profantasy forum and you know I like your maps
    You have combined several styles and created something beautiful. The shields are a nice touch and the labeling looks great. I only wished the maps were slightly bigger. Is this the final size?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Nice maps! Very crisp and effective

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Thanks Gandwarf and Coyotemax! In regards to final size, I am not sure. I noticed some very nice maps like the one coyotemax did for new dawn of the west were very large, but the amount of detail is awe inspiring.

The end result for these maps is to be viewable in a 960 width window, which will be the length of my interactive viewer window. I need to check around and see what is the norm for post work on maps, I know on my kromgor map, I got squeezed for space on names. If i went lower on font size, it becomes hard to read, unless I did my labelling in Photoshop, where i could go lower in font size and make it readable.

If my maps go past 960 in width, then I would need to support sliding around like google maps. I have not decided if I want to go that route, although I have a prototype that can view any size maps (uses tiling and ajax like google maps).

Hmm, I think I will try a rework of Corica at 3000x2000

I really like the consistency of style for the maps. It is very clear that they are all from the same resource. Good stuff!
    Something witty and pithy

I redid Corica in 3000x3000, but saved the png at 2000x2000. That seemed to allow me to add a lot more, and be a lot more detailed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corica_3000.PNG 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	15607  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Wow, that's fabulous!! makes me want to try a map in this style.. I love the way it looks, and yes, the added detail really helps bring it alive.

Have you tried shrinking it down to the 960 wide to see how the detail preserves?

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I like the bigger version a lot! It seems like you did the labeling in CC3 as well?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Nice maps!

I like that name Corica

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast