Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gimp Plugin: A better lazy man's city?

A new version, with support for undo (Thanks for the tip RobA, ended up working on a copy, works great, probably even faster than before)

Added a courtyards option, which will make only one layer of houses, and cut out the middle. It makes for much more regularly shaped houses as well.

Added a delete invisible layers option (which doesn't actually delete anything, just doesn't copy them back over from the copy image)

Added a merge layers option, which (duh) merges the visible layers before moving them to the original image.

Also cleaned up some of the code to use constants rather than integers as advised by RobA. I know it's a good idea, I just had some trouble converting the constants from the documentation to their names in python at an early point when learning to write plugins and sorta gave up. Mostly all is good now, though, so will clean up the rest of the code in time.

Now for some jittering
    Attached Files Attached Files

Praise

Holy Crap! I love it! This is going to make it a bajillion times easier for me to finish my map of Turimor! Thanks! Have some rep and a post with lots of exclamation points!!!!!

Will make examples soonish... been playing with my town generator, trying to improve the houses it makes. Quite some success, I believe. Notice the rooftops being much sharper than what we usually achieve with the dimpled gradient.

I'm now stacking multiple gradients with various selections to generate the bump map. Only problem right now is overlapping houses, which I know how to fix, just haven't had the time.

I guess I may be able to do something like this, but with houses snugly against eachother - that'd be desirable for city work, yes?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	towngen.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	15862  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff all around, even if I don't use the GIMP...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip Example output of city generator

Well, I'm not going to enter the competition, but I figured a lazy man's Oten-Jo would be kinda suitable as an example of the city generator as it lies.

For some reason or other, Gimp keeps crashing when I create images larger than, eh, 2000x2000 or so, so I ended up making a lo-res map for this demo. It does seem that the houses are at their best when I keep the size around 10-20. The larger houses get kinda wonky. I want a better solution, but I still think it's a step up from using Gimp's mosaic filter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	otenjo-generated.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	15912  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12