Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New map

Really cool maps (this and the other one)!

I know someone said something about a tutorial in the other map's thread, but I'm wondering: was it lost when the forum moved from phpBB to vBulletin?
    Just another RATMAN ASSASSIN.
    If orangutans could type...

I didn't see any link...which map's thread mentioned the tutorial or are you thinking of this one: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=530
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

It wasn't posted as a Tutorial in the tutorial section, it was more a general explanation by HandsomeRob as to how he went about making his maps. Your best bet would be to do a search on the forums.

Professional Artist

There is a tutorial in the Conlanger.com journal, which can be found here: http://www.conlanger.com/issue5.pdf

-Rob

Thanks a lot, HandsomeRob!

Hiya.

I followed that tutorial HandsomeRob but had 2 issues.

1.) When I go to save the grid layer... FT crashes.

2.) When I save the relief layer, it turns out completely white (with both the land and sea being set to that color as per the tutorial) with no relief in the jpg. I see the relief in FT but not when I save it as a jpg.

Two possible things come to mind. My PC is choking on the data with the grid layer. And, there's a checkbox somewhere else that will allow me to export the relief with any map I save. It could also be that we have different version. I have FT Pro 2.3.

Anything you might suggest would be gladdly appreciated.

Professional Artist

You are running a much newer version than what I have (FT version 1.23). But maybe if you turned down the number of subdivisions on the grid, it wouldn't choke your computer. I don't know what to tell you about the relief not showing up. Perhaps there are others here who know FT better than I do.

Sorry,
    Rob

Hmmm... I'm not 100% certain what the issue there is, but I believe I have the same version of FT as you, so I'll take a look. I won't be back home until tomorrow, though

Good luck working it out.

Post Atlas Project Questions

HandsomeRob - Like everybody else, WOW.

With that said, what is your plan with this atlas project? Are you just designing a world for the fun of it or is there more to it?

BTW, the style is fantastic. Reminds me very much of National Geographic (who I consider to be the best cartographer's in this world).

Your maps are very well executed HandsomeRob, they look like something I can buy in a map shop. I'd like to see a Gantau map one day (although given how large the country is, the map for it will be huge). I also liked your city map of Jushalishuk, it had a very nice Bedouin/desert feel to it--I hope you decide to do other city maps as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast