Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cruzamento De Rio (WIP)

That's a very interesting border you got there. It's huge though and it's kinda grabbing the attention (away from the map?).
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Yep.

The border has been redone while I waste time avoiding working on the building placement. I think I rather like it now. The best part is that it's not totally random - it does tell the story of the town, in it's own way. I still need to re-order some of the pics, they didn't flow quite the way I intended.

Morkhdull: thanks! I had a lot of fun designing the waterfront.. Glad to hear it's inspiring

The more i look at it, the more I tweak the river.. sigh. i should really stop now and work on the buildings.. Though i am planning on maybe adding some rocks and terrain in the river in spots, i love the way the foamy ripples are coming along. Can't add too many though, the whole point to the town was that it was a safe and convenient barge landing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city copy.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	15657  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I find it funny how you are dreading the placement of buildings. There's no escaping it. This is a city map of course.
    Border is much better now.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Not so much dreading as I find it incredibly tedious. But yeah, nothing to it but to git er done.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

City mapping is indeed very tedious work. But it can be very relaxing as well. I have to be in the mood for it, though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    ...I find it incredibly tedious.
    I'll second that, and painful as well (for me at least), I had shoulder problems for weeks after my last big city map.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

In the tut final (not yet ready) I replace the tedium with brushes and paths and things go much faster...see the post I have on brushes here, post #3:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2639

Instead of cropping out selections and rotating them, the brushes make things quite easy.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I kept thinking there's got to be an easier way
    Though I have to admit I like the variation of the different sizes and placements of buildings everywhere.

Well, the wife is off this weekend, so I may not make as much progress as i was hoping on the map

My finished maps

Guild Member

There's something about the way the beach meets the grass that makes the beach seem very steep, almost cliff like. It makes the bridge and docks pop when you follow them from the land, and almost seem like they're not touching the water.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll have to play around with things a bit. I like the bridge itself being higher (barges need to go under) but now that you mention it, the docks should be right at water level.

My finished maps

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast