Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cruzamento De Rio (WIP)

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Thanks! The more I look at it, the more I want to flesh out the personalities who live there, and come up with things for our intrepid adventures to run into and deal with

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by bob@thedicebag View Post
    Right thats it...I'm not even going to bother putting my half arsed attempt up here now :p
    Bah, are you kidding?? If I'd taken that approach (and i almost did to start) you'll never get the helpful feedback that will help you improve

Do it! you know you want to!!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by bob@thedicebag View Post
    Right thats it...I'm not even going to bother putting my half arsed attempt up here now :p
    Yeah, you should post it up, really... it's the only way you can get feedback.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

The scale issue is still causing me problems and my PC ends up running to slow if I increase the size of the map to get it right in one image.

My solution so far has been to go back to the drawing board and live with the slow speed until I get the ground done and then hopefully split it up in to smaller chunks to work on.

I'll get a WIP put up later once my laptop can get net access.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Just use my tut and make changes where you see fit like CM did. Anyone can do it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Which reminds me, I finally looked at your map and saw what things were supposed to look like - woah

Definitely some differences, but i can't say I'm not happy with my final result. One of the big differences being the bridge footings.. yours are for much more height than mine, I was envisioning squat ones to stay level with the road, kind of like this. I just tossed in a few spaces between to make it easier for the barges to fit, kind of a hybrid standard stone/wood bridge.

My finished maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Just use my tut and make changes where you see fit like CM did. Anyone can do it.
    Completely agree. My problems lying in the sheer size of city I'm trying to create. Everything runs that slowly that by the time I've got to about point 34 on the tutorial its taking a few minutes to make each change so I've no idea what it would be like once I started placing the houses etc.

Once I get the starting point right I'll be laughing as the rough drafts I threw together to make sure I understood the tutorial before diving in head first looked good. The difference was they were about a tenth of the size of the one I'm trying to work on now.

Start small, then go big. I always found that trying something too ambitious will kill a project. that's why I ended up doing a smal/medium sized town for now.

My finished maps

Mine is the capital of an island nation that I'm building as part of a coop world build. I've been writing about this place for 3-4 months now and need to get my head around how it looks before I go any further with it.

Even if it turns out rubbish it still gets me further along the road and I can always fix it/redo it at a later date.

The only other place I've designed so far had about 8 huts and a huge forest so this is making a welcome change.

As for your map. I'm actually liking the feel of it more than Ascensions. His buildings look better I feel but I'm loving the details you've put on the road around the bridge etc.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345