Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Handmade" map

Map "Handmade" map

This is the "handmade" version of my terra incognita 4 (see the digital version here )

Almost handmade: the texts have been added with Gimp, everything else is done in watercolor and colored pencils.

The map measures 22 * 28 cm.

This is the first time I am making a map with watercolor. It has things successful, some less, so perfectible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terra icognita 4 fait main.jpg 
Views:	756 
Size:	496.1 KB 
ID:	18131  
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

I love those broken dark blue lines around the coast.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is really quite nice..great job!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm not wild about the font...too many loopy bits but I don't have any better ideas either. The handmade portion is well done indeed.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post It looks like Alaska, without Canada!

Didn't notice on your other version of the map, but looking at it now, the map reminds me of the shape of Alaska! Except Canada isn't there next to it.

Nice job and the hand-drawn and hand-painted work!

I am familiar with this font you've used, I think its called "Balthazar", while it does have a hand-scripted look, Ascension's point is true in that its difficult to read - too many loops. It might be worth visiting one of the free font sites out there to search for a "hand-drawn" looking script that is easier to read.

My favorite free font site is:
    http://www.acidfonts.com

If you visit that site, click on the "alphabet" listing at the top of the page, then navigate through to find a font that might work better. Be sure to click on the top navigation link, not those on the bottom of the page which are fonts you have to pay for.

Still, nice job!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    I love those broken dark blue lines around the coast.
    It's fun to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General
    This is really quite nice..great job!
    I'm glad to have done one, now I want to do more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension
    I'm not wild about the font...too many loopy bits but I don't have any better ideas either. The handmade portion is well done indeed.
    This font is readable if used in large (for a title for example). But I recognize that for small text, it is not adequate, especially to overwrite symbols.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter
    Didn't notice on your other version of the map, but looking at it now, the map reminds me of the shape of Alaska! Except Canada isn't there next to it.

Nice job and the hand-drawn and hand-painted work!
    The resemblance to Alaska is totally unintentional. I leave FT Pro make continents, then I select those that I find attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter
    I am familiar with this font you've used, I think its called "Balthazar", while it does have a hand-scripted look, Ascension's point is true in that its difficult to read - too many loops. It might be worth visiting one of the free font sites out there to search for a "hand-drawn" looking script that is easier to read.

My favorite free font site is:
    http://www.acidfonts.com
    I used a font named Blackadder ITC. I find my fonts on www.dafont.com.
    Thank you for the acidfonts site, I'll see it.

It is true that I love this font.
    Initially, I planned to calligraphy myself the texts (I also do calligraphy ).
    But I abandoned the idea for several reasons : I prefer to wait to have a calligraphy materials of better quality (ink, pens) and I'm not sure it is very readable, so I don't want to spoil my map just because of the texts.
    That is why I chose a handwritten font.
    Noon

Guild Journeyer

Fantastic looking map.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

The more I look, the more I found that this map looks like a "treasure map for childrens".
    Probably the symbols are not sophisticated enough or there is too many symbols.

I also think that mixing symbols seen from above (the forests) and viewed from side (the mountains) is not a good idea. Next time, I'll try to represent mountains viewed from above.
    Noon

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    The more I look, the more I found that this map looks like a "treasure map for childrens".
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

If I may suggest, do your calligraphy on a seperate sheet, scan it in the same fashion as you did your map, and use Gimp to comp the labels onto the map. You get the appearance of hand lettering and a lot of the flexibility of computer-generated labels.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast