Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greethings

Sorry to crash your topic like this, it just sounds interesting =)
    Don't suppose you've ever heard of nanowrimo? ( http://www.nanowrimo.org )

Despite being a coder, I just love dabbling with artsy stuff.
    Up untill now I've more or less given up on making pretty pictures, as such I gave nanowrimo a try (with the thought 'a picture says a thousand words' so how about 'a thousand words can paint a picture').
    Personally I find that translated stories just lack that certain something, not to downtalk your work though. It is just that certain flair of the language that is so hard to capture when translating. Though I'd love to hear your opinion on that topic.

In anycase, starting your own publishing agency might not be too bad. If you try to get connections with nanowrimo for instance, you might get some potential gems from other dutch / english writers. So there is definitly potential in that field.

nanowrimo hmm sounds interesting, have to look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Imahilus
    Personally I find that translated stories just lack that certain something, not to downtalk your work though. It is just that certain flair of the language that is so hard to capture when translating. Though I'd love to hear your opinion on that topic.
    well in my opinion, translated works can be just as great as the original, its just the technique that is used for the translating that makes all the difference, is the story literary translated then there is a big chance that the story will lack a lot flair (as you called it )

when i'm translating a story i use a certain freedom in my translating wich sometimes means i have to rewrite some part's because sometimes they don't really work in that certain language, things i don't translate are names (i HATE it when translators are fecking with names) songs and poems (will not be translated but be rewriting with the same intention and thought in mind as when i wrote the original version.)

and further more i personally think the Enlgish language is far more suited for telling stories, the English language has more words for some things than the dutch making a work that is translated from dutch to English much more textual rich and adds the extra flair of the language, but only when done in the right way.

well thats my opinnion atleast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12