Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greethings

Post Greethings

Hey my name is Lennart (Len) Bruins, 23 jears old and currently living in the Netherlands. Just wanted to tell you guys (and girls) that the tutorials on this forum are really helpfull for getting the worlds for my book(s) on paper, i have many stories in my head but currently im jotting down a story going by the name "the Chronicles of Entaugh" (pronounced: Entaw)

please remember those names Lennart (Len) Bruins - The Chronicles of Entaugh if you ever see the book in a store (if i can get them published that is :S) and you look at the maps, rememer that i couldn't have made them as nice without the help of this site.

Thank you,

Len

Hey Lennart, welcome to the guild. Good to see another Dutch guy

Are you writing your story in Dutch?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

thank you

Both English and Dutch, i begin writing in Dutch and i'm translating every chapter when finished. because if the dutch publishers aren't interested, then i could sent the manuscript to English or American publishers, and save a whole lot of work later on.
    Last edited by len; 08-07-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by len View Post
    Both English and Dutch, i begin writing in Dutch and i'm translating every chapter when finished. because if the dutch publishers aren't interested, then i could sent the manuscript to English or American publishers, and save a whole lot of work later on.
    That's a very good idea! Chances are high Dutch publishers will not be interested, unfortunately. They mainly want to translate English fantasy and then publish that
    Is your English good enough to translate? I have done some translation work in the past (mainly English > Dutch) and it's pretty difficult I think.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    That's a very good idea! Chances are high Dutch publishers will not be interested, unfortunately. They mainly want to translate English fantasy and then publish that
    Is your English good enough to translate? I have done some translation work in the past (mainly English > Dutch) and it's pretty difficult I think.
    i'm still cherishing a little bit of hope that Luitingh will be interested in the manuscript, otherwise i think i will turn to Harper Collins or Houghton Mifflin.

and if no one is interested i will publish it myself. (i'm originally a Desktop publisher so i'm kind of used to designing lay-outs for books, and i have enough connections with print- bookbinding companies, so that should work out pretty nicely too.

Well i think my English is good enough for translating (i have a recommendation letter for the university of Cambridge, i did not actually enroll there, but it is a good indication of my skill with the English language.)

so i do not think that translating would be that hard of a task to to handle.

Dutch > English is easy the otherway around is a pain in the rump.

Interesting. I am writing a couple of stories in Dutch myself and I am very near to the point that I can send in a manuscript. Rejection is highly likely though, so I am exploring other routes as well (translating/self-publishing).

Maybe I should try translating a few chapters myself and see how it goes. Hiring a professional translator is very expensive I noticed

Professional translators are very expensive indeed, but if you have friends who are speaking the English language natively and are willing to help with translating (grammer spelling checks etc.) surely helps a lot

im thinking of combining my pagan midieval/celtic webshop with a publishing label "Pagan hill publishing" hmm sounds good but only if all else fails, especially for starting Dutch fantasy writers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast