Thread: and a very original 'hey'

Post and a very original 'hey'

No point in being original about the title eh.

Hey, I'm imahilus. At the moment the only other forum I frequent is hirstarts(.com). In fact, a map by one of the members there made me take a look here.. and I saw a tutorial that looked like even I could follow.
    I'm a coder by nature, and have tried drawing stuff before with absolutely no succes whatsoever.
    That said, I run linux.. gimp came pre-installed with ubuntu, so figured I'd give it a go with this tutorial:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1142
    Suprisingly enough, I've come to the point where I have some kind of island, with an interesting coastline... with my non-existing artistic talent.. I'm bloody impressed!
    Sorry for the swearing, I'm that impressed.

Might aswell use this post for a second purpose, to not clutter up this forum =)
    I'm sort of stuck.. Somehow I managed to get the mountains in, but I'm stumbling and staggering at the forest part. For some reason my 3-part-sandwich-layers darken up the entire map. Nor do I have a clue what colours to pick for the colour gradient for the forest.
    So I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, I just haven't a clue what.

In anycase, it is fun seeing a friendly society in this sort of realm aswell. I always love the maps that are in books like lord of the rings, or the maps that come with games.
    And who knows, I might be able to make a fancy map myself at the end of this summer!

Welcome to the Guild!

Sadly, because I only use CC3, I cannot really offer much input into other software. I know someone will come along and offer some help.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I'm afraid I'm not a Gimp user although there are many on the forum. RobA who wrote the tutorial is very active on the boards and very helpful too, so I'm sure he'll be along to help you out soon if someone else doesn't first.

Glad to see you've been bitten by the mapping bug!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ah, didn't realise it was customary to post your name / place of origin here.
    Geuss I'll have to side with the dutchies here! =P

Robert Sparenberg (no point in hiding my name, a simple internet search of my nick will turn it up...), I live in friesland, studying software engineering in leeuwarden.
    DM'ing a group of D&D 3.5, and interested in making some region maps for the game =)

Geuss thats the important bit eh?
    So yeah, if any of the dutch people here are near leeuwarden.. theres still room in my campaign

Yay... YAY to the Dutch
    Unfortunately I live near Rotterdam... so...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...