Thread: World map Questions

Post World map Questions

I saw yesterday this great map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5887), but I have some questions.

1. Since I don't want you to waste your time answering the following questions, do you know if there is a tutorial I can follow, so I can create a map like this one?
    2. How can I create the same effect(short darker lines) which are used to draw the forests? In a tutorial I've seen, the outline of the forests was created by making a brush with rough edges (the outcome was pretty much the same), but I don't know how to create the inner lines. They seem random, yet near the edges of the forest they are more dense. The same lines exist on the grass, but they are a bit longer and near the coast they are also more dense, giving a more realistic look to the map and making it look less flat.
    3. How exactly did you create the ripples from the sea near the coast?
    4. Many maps use different colors for the sea depending on the depth of the bottom of the sea, but in most cases the lines have the same shape as the coastline. In this map these lines have a more natural shape. I thought I'd try to draw them with the mouse since I don't have to be precise, but I'd like to know if there is a quicker way.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The answer to your first three questions is simple - as far as I know, he hand draws all of his maps on a tablet. So there are no functions or filters to replicate those lines nor any tutorials. I've been experimenting but the process takes longer than if I did it by hand. The answer to your fourth question is that we usually try to distinguish shallows from deep sea...how far you want to go with distinguishing other levels is up to you but it gets distracting when you have too many levels...in this style. Satellite maps, on the other hand, have many levels for bathymetry (underwater heights).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for the answer. You don't how much I appreciate the fact that professionals like you find some time to answer the silly questions I've been posting the last week. They may look simple to someone who has experience with PS, but to someone who has no experience with the program they thay can be very confusing.

Or perhaps the problem is my nature and the fact that I always have high expectations from the start when I find a new program. This time I've decided to take it slow and progress steadily.

As for the Sarifal map, I suspected it was partly hand-drawn, I just hoped I was wrong.
    Because now the path is closed for the rest of us who have claws instead of fingers.

"I guess that map gives the title of Master Yoda to Mr. Schley"
    May the force guide my mouse.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

No problem, man, but I'm hardly a professional....just an avid hobbyist Go through the tutorials and you will at least learn how to use PS and become, at least, familiar with a few of the things it can do. If you're more comfortable with pencil and paper then get yourself a scanner and then do the tweaking on the computer.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ah. That is a nice style, for sure. I think this is the guy that did the maps for WotC's Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk hardcover adventure. I was just admiring these the other day as I looked at various map styles. Definitely beyond my ability right now.
    M