Thread: Changing brush diameters in PS

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Help Changing brush diameters in PS

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but...

I know you can change the horizontal diameter of a brush in Photoshop, but is there a way to alter the vertical diamter also? Reason I ask is that I want to put a border around a map, but the one I want to use won't scale correctly. Is there a sub-menu I'm just not seeing where you can type in the exact dimensions you want the brush to be, like 700 by 300, or whatever?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I use CS and the resize only affects one dimension with no way, but one (which I'll describe), to change the other dimension. What I do is just make one click to get the size that I want then hit Edit - Transform - Scale and change the percentages at the top of the screen.

This is also heavily dependent upon what kind of border that you are playing with...sometimes resizing will make it connect poorly. Say your using a vine for your border and you resize it...the vert border and the horiz border will look very different. On the other hand, if you are using egg and dart then it should look okay.

The best thing to do is do one thing for the corners and something else that fits in between them and can be repeated easily (the smaller the chunk the better it will repeat). If you post up an image I'll take a look at it and see if we have to go and chop it up
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

If you open your Brushes palette, you can certainly adjust that.

Go to the Brush Tip Shape, and your settings are there.

This is what it looks like, with my current brush set to 50% height compaerd to width

And if you grab that little arrow, you can adjust the direction you want the angle to be
    Or type in the angle you want : eg 90 degrees will change so it's 50% wide on the vertical..

like so:
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 08-09-2009 at 01:19 AM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Ascension: yeah, that's what I was playing around with, and I noticed the distortion you mentioned. Same thing on the shape dynamics, Coyote; it just distorts certain parts of the border too much.

I was hoping to avoid it but... I guess I'll have to do what Ascension is suggesting and parse in different chunks for the corners and straights. Only problem with that is going to be getting the shadow underneath it correct. I'm planning to have a drop shadow underneath the border, and I want it to 'line up' correctly. Guess I can do a separate layer for each corner and each straight and fiddle the shadow so it matches it's companions.

Very time consuming though... Ah well. If I didn't have a crapload of patience, I guess I wouldn't be making maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Only problem with that is going to be getting the shadow underneath it correct. I'm planning to have a drop shadow underneath the border, and I want it to 'line up' correctly. Guess I can do a separate layer for each corner and each straight and fiddle the shadow so it matches it's companions.

Very time consuming though... Ah well. If I didn't have a crapload of patience, I guess I wouldn't be making maps.
    Just copy and merge your new border layers into a final border layer (and hide your separated ones) then apply any effects to the merged layer. Or if you don't care about backing things up you can just merge the originals and add the effects to that.
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I always forget about the Merge function.