Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terraficta - Introduction and feedback request

Post Terraficta - Introduction and feedback request

Hi all,

being a new member, I thought I'd introduce myself and my project first.

My name is Matthias Janssen, I am a 29 year-old university student (Digital Media) from Germany.

My project ('terraficta', an artificial latin word-construct roughly translating to fictional / created / invented earth / land) can be found by clicking the link in my signature. What I intend to do with the project is not only to create maps myself, but also to present templates for others to (relatively) easily and quickly draw (relatively) beautiful, useful, and consistent maps. Maps, that do display a great deal of detail without bogging the cartographer down in too much work.

To be honest, I'm rather satisfied with what has been achieved so far, but since this is (and has always been) a WIP, I am always looking for a way to improve.

Well, that's about it for now. I'm really looking forward to your feedback!

Cheers

Matthias

Another hearty welcome to you. How did you find our site? We're always curious so that we know if our efforts are being applied in the right places.

I've looked through your regional maps that you have up, but only a glancing blow. They use the popular Harn style which will probably give you some mixed reviews as it doesn't tend to be for everyone. I'll try to take some time to look through more of your stuff with a more discerning eye and get back to you whether you like it or not.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Well, be sure to also check out the templates - the outcome is just one side of the coin, I am almost happier with the templates and the fact that basically anybody can (by using photoshop and the templates) create maps like these in rather little time. Concerning the Hârn style: Yes, they were inspired by those maps, but I have tried to take the maps one step further, sort of taking the hand-drawn Hârn map style into the digital age... (also check out the layered version of the "asolade" map on the site)

I just googled for the term cartography and found your site. I like it a lot and am currently skimming through the tutorials in order to "steal" what I can...

I have already added your site to the link section of terraficta.net.

I will definitely do that. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Member

I love the style of these maps. Im going to have a go at working through your manual and seeing how i get on.

Any idea when the local map template pack will be available ?

Regards...

Well, they are basically finished, but in an old version. I am planning to re-work them in order to facilitate the working process. However, since I am currently working on a set of regional maps, it might take a couple of weeks...

Guild Novice

Yes - I love this style as well. But alas, my photoshop is stuck at version 7 - no CS for me. Do you have these templates/brushes available in an older style?

Yes, don't discount those of us still stuck in PS 7. I don't intend on updating any time soon and at work I have CS2, but I can't do my mapping at work, unfortunately.

Welcome, Matthias! When I was first getting back into rpg's & cartography, I came across your site and got some good ideas & some inspiration. Glad you found us here & hope you contribute some of the great techniques you use on your site. Take care!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Thanks for the hearty welcome!

Concerning the compatibility with earlier versions of Photoshop: To be honest, I don't know whether they are compatible with Photoshop 7 or earlier - I created the files with Photoshop CS and never tested them on older versions (as that woul require uninstalling and re-installing the complete software package).

So, just go ahead and toy around with the files - even if not everything works, there may still be (useful?) parts that do.

Oh, and if you do try it out, please be so kind to let me know what worked, and what didn't. That would be much appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast