Thread: Ongoing Project

Post Ongoing Project

I'm mapping a continent for a friend based off of his hand drawn map, and I ditched his rivers since they ignored the laws of nature. When I drew other rivers in though, I think I made too many of them, or perhaps I should only map the widest parts of the rivers. What do you guys think?

Yes, it's all currently in B&W, I'm working on doing a political map and will change/add colors later on. Currently working this is PS CS2.

Another thought of mine is that there aren't enough mountains.. that at the very least the mountains on the main landmass should be combined into a chain and possibly extended.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rivers.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	15701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	proposed copy.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	15710  
    Last edited by Koor; 08-09-2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Added the updated map

I wouldn't say you have too many rivers (there are a couple of crazier riverful places on our own earth, after all), but if they stand out too much for you, you could slim them down a little, or replace two rivers with one coiling through the area that they both occupied. I guess it also depends on the kind of look you will eventually aim for - will it remain a basic penned map with some indicative colours, or will it be a satelite map, etc?

Personally, I'd like to see more mountain ranges, the few you have in there now just stand out exactly like that: few. The northeast of the map could be home to a nice spinal mountain range curving along the coastline at some distance. But that's just me.

Some of the coastlines stand out to me as being a little 'blobby', so to speak. The island in the southeast for example reminds me a little of a sock hanging from the mantel, awaiting santa's presents. I'd make those a little more jagged.

Looking forward to seeing this one progress!
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

haha, now that you mention it, it does look like a sock. I agree on the mountains thing. I'll look at it more tonight. Thanks for the advice!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great start Koor!

I agree that the coastlines are a little smooth, but no big deal really. You could have Sock/Stocking Island in the Mantle Sea/Ocean
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ok, changed the sock to something that now kinda resembles a ghost (dammit). I temporarily threw some mountains in the place I'd like to see some. That blue was added to the seas and lakes just so it would be easier to differentiate land from water for now. That's definitely not going to be the real water color.

My end goal is to create something similar to Ascension's Antique map ( http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3806 ). Though I wanted a different effect for the mountains. I may scrap the current mountains and go for something more stylized with this political map.